Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I found this site today and signed up right away. My name's Greg and I have a little shop north of Denver. I've loved the gasser look ever since I was a little kid in the '70s, and I recently stumbled into a pretty silly gasser project of my own.

These two pics say it all...but its basically an unfinished Cobra kit car that sits a little high, and I'm going from there. As a bonus I have yet to see another Cobra gasser! I'll make a build thread with a lot more info.

As it arrived:

...and as of now...

And yes, it's a 327/TH350!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Welcome to the site. Cobra is very cool as a gasser. That was my thought when I bought the mg. Make it a poor mans cobra.
You'll love the forum here. Great bunch of car enthusiasts. Look forward to your build.
Mario

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hey isn't that a song??? SLOW-DRIVE--Oh wait. That's SLOWRIDE!!! I rewrite sings so you just gave me inspiration to do that song. Hey. A Cobra Gasser is right in line with a lot of older MG and Morgan Gassers back in the day. Look up some of these early sports car Gassers and you can get lots of ideas from them. That is going to be a really great ride when you're done. Looking forward to watching it all come together. A big welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay. Glad you could join up with us.

Mark

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a better use for a Cobra kit car to me! Plenty of them done as clones, and a gasser will be a refreshing change!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys! I really like this place already, it's great to find others with proper taste in cars. ;-)

I've had a gasser vision for this car since before I even went to look at it. I posted a few pics on Facebook and already felt the hate from some Cobra purists...so yeah, this is going to be tons of fun! I'm only a few miles away from the Shelby museum and I plan on visiting with this regularly. Heheheh.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Quote----"I've had a gasser vision for this car since before I even went to look at it. I posted a few pics on Facebook and already felt the hate from some Cobra purists...so yeah, this is going to be tons of fun! I'm only a few miles away from the Shelby museum and I plan on visiting with this regularly. Heheheh."

Oh, yeah. I like you already. Guess I gotta bring this song back up. Just click on the link and sing along using the new lyrics.

I don’t want to stop/I Think Gasser Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_Bu1r-Ovg

I don’t know what you’re bitchin about
I’m taking my own direction
Hate just makes me frown, ain’t gunna slow me down
It’s just a gasser outside of tradition

Buddy don’t cry I just want it up high
Like driving it up in the air
Everybody’s smirkin’ but I keep a buildin’
It looks a lot better I swear

All my life I've been over the top
I don’t know why I do it all I know is I don’t want to stop
All fired up, I'm gunna go 'til I drop
You're either in or in my way, don't stop me, this thing’s gunna rock

Why can’t they ever listen to me
It’s not a full on competition
Nothing they say is gunna change my way
Don’t need to follow their tradition

Too many suggestions but only one Rod
I don’t need another example
Don’t try to change my mind
I know I’m one of a kind
Ain’t gunna change my build behavior

I don't know why I do it all I know is I don't wanna stop
All fired up, I'm gonna go 'til I drop
You're either in or in my way, don't stop me, this thing’s gunna rock
You're either in or in my way, don't stop me this thing’s gunna rock

I think gassers rock
I think gassers rock
I think gassers rock
I think gassers rock
I think gassers rock
I think gassers rock
I think gassers rock

You're either in or in my way, don't stop me this thing’s gunna rock
You're either in or in my way, don't stop me This things gunna rock

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sung to Ozzy no less! I love it!
I like this place even better now...and Mark, I'm actually an old Pontiac guy! I still have my '69 Judge from high scool (it's RUSTY), a '66 GP and a '78 Lemans SW dirt track car. So yeah, diggin' your gasser a lot.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Slodrive, a brother from another mother. HA! You have the same Pontiac "sickness" as I do. I feel a family reunion sometime in the future, LOL.

Markus O'Blacksheepious

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
The negative remarks from Cobra purists crack me up, since most of them are driving clones and feeling like purists! Isn't that a little hypocritical? Those negative comments usually drive me the other direction towards what I want even more! I'm sure your Cobra gasser will get tons of attention from everyone, and the non Cobra clone guys will really love it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^ I kind of love the hate from those guys, it just shows who's really having fun and who's trying to make other people happy!

The guy who "gave" me the car highly approves of what I'm doing. He has a McCutchen kit as well that he finished in the '80s. He's got an LS6 454 crate motor in his with 4 Webers and a Muncie M-22. I've worked on it and got to drive it once...holy crap, what an animal! He says it's about 2100 lbs. Some of his neighbors have Cobras, both real and the "correct" replicas...I don't think they like his car that much either. :)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Well you have for sure found the right place. Great looking start. I peeked at your build photo's already. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You should do some google searches on competition Cobras.
Some of them had a tiny little curved plexiglass windshield that I bet you could fab up yourself if you were careful with a heat gun (or just throwing a chunk of plexiglass in the oven).

It's a look that just screams high performance,looks mean as hell,and I'm willing to bet you would never see another Cobra running around with one of those little Comp windshields on it.:)

What are you planning to run for a scoop?Just the open crabs and tunnel ram,or sort of a Two Lane Blacktop sort of style,or something else..?

Can't wait to see more of this car!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts