Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every body, its good to be back again. I had computer problems for a while and spent a lot of money getting it fixed only to have it quit all together.

Any way I was able to save my info from my no good hard drive. It took a while to get my computer back. I have my little 62 Nova home now for about three weeks and have just finished some nice engine upgrades which look good to me any way, and made it run like I had never seen before.

The engine had red Moroso valve covers and round red air cleaner when I got it, ran a Edelbrock Victor Junior and a 750 cfm Quick Fuel carb

I added a 800 cfm Edelbrock carb and RPM Performer air gap intake and worked two days detailing the Edelbrock valve covers and air cleaner in red, and polishing them.

Bow Tie is building me a stage 3 200 4R with a special aerospace material input shaft installed. 2400 stall converter and sending it to Alamo Performance here in San Antonio where I set up everything. While the car is there, they are going to mount as wide a tire as possible under the rear and the proper size much skinnier front tires like I have now which are all brand new with less than 100 miles on them.

Going back with Mickey Thompson Sportsmans mounted on a new set of Cragar S/S wheels. Replacing my B&M Pro Line shifter with an much upgraded one in Billet, Bow Tie is supplying that as well as a really nice looking transmission cross member made for my 62 Nova to clean up the swap from the turbo 350 I have now to the 200 4R.

I easily got antique plates for it no problems, no inspections it was great! And what restrictions there are not a problem since its really not my daily driver by any means. I have my red window tint I got at Amazon, and am about to have the windows done.

I messed up on the valve covers putting them on, and put way too much black rtv silicone on the cork gaskets making a child like mess out in the sun baking like a old potato soaked in sweat.

Fought the little bolts getting them on for ever, and let the silicone dry completely in hunks on gaskets, then piled some more on there and slapped them on. They both leak from the rear badly! Looks great from on top though. Tomorrow they come off and I'll try to be more grown up and act like I have a clue this time. They should be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Valve cover over goop comes under shit happens.... child like mess comes under doing a burn out in front of the guys house you dont like,(black rubber and hopefully some smoke gets in his house) looks really good,,,,the polishing stuff takes forever to do by hand and a home buffing wheel........but its a labor of love, glad your back on the site..sounds like your hell bent to make that baby the way YOU want it, I cant wait to hear the report on the Transmission swap to see what you think....keep us posted...........Keep the old tires you may want them for a road trip or you may not like really skinny tires handling or a pair for show or go........Lash

·
Administrator
13,536 Posts
The finned Edelbrock valve covers look great! A tip on valve cover gaskets...don't silicone both sides! Put silicone on the valve cover, and then carefully lay the gasket in place. Then from the gasket side, push all 4 screws through their holes, making sure the gasket is in place, and set them aside. After about 15 minutes you can remove the screws by unscrewing them from the gasket, to avoid dislodging the new gasket. Then put the screws through from the correct side, and set the valve covers in place on the head, and tighten them down. I've never had a leaker doing them this way.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I put a small bead of yellow 3M snot on the covers set the gasket in place let dry and then put the covers on taking them down equal all the way snug

·
Registered
669 Posts
Engine looks great. NAPA makes an extra thick valve cover gasket. If you have a need to remove your valve covers on a regular basis, think about intalling studs with extensions you can hand tight...and they make it easy to remove them when you need to. If you decide to use silicone, place it on the valve cover side of the gasket so the gasket stays on the valve cover when you remove the valve covers. Looking forward to more pictures. The shoebox Novas are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The finned Edelbrock valve covers look great! A tip on valve cover gaskets...don't silicone both sides! Put silicone on the valve cover, and then carefully lay the gasket in place. Then from the gasket side, push all 4 screws through their holes, making sure the gasket is in place, and set them aside. After about 15 minutes you can remove the screws by unscrewing them from the gasket, to avoid dislodging the new gasket. Then put the screws through from the correct side, and set the valve covers in place on the head, and tighten them down. I've never had a leaker doing them this way.

Thank you for that. Naturally after you brought this up I actually remembered doing the same thing about 35 years ago. Its been about that long since I did any kind of engine work like this, I enjoyed it and now have learned something I wont forget.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I found out that to my dismay, my Edelbrock valve covers sitting on Edelbrock heads, actually hit the outside edge of the Edlebrock intake just enough to not allow the cover to seat. I didn't notice this when I put them on. I used new bolts and washers to hold down the covers, and had a hell of a time starting the top ones because the bolts were just normal length. My Moroso covers had the red extended hand tighten bolts that use spreader bars. The spreader bars wouldn't fit the Edelbrock covers, or I would have used those. I called Summit where I bought the stuff but was on hold for ever and gave up. Any way, they are not going to take them back now, and I can see where just a bit of judicial Dremmel tool work on the edge of the covers will cure the problem... Don't know why no one else had this problem, at least I never heard about it.

I have my proper gasser red window tint. I may have it put on in the morning but I will have to sit with it. I took in a couple days ago to let them look at at the car and make sure they could handle it the way I expect. See I have a 53 year old car which is older than the fathers of the guys doing the work on my car. To my astonishment, the owner of "Mothers Window Tint" here or at least the store I went to is doing the install. He is my age, knows what were talking about, knows what I expect, and most importantly, knows what he's doing. Glad to hear that after being told by one of the little punks there that the only way he can put tint in the rear window of any car is by using the defroster wires as guides to keep the tint layers in line!!

Wont need any layers in the back window the tint is plenty wide for one strip, and rear electric rear window defrosters didn't come along for many years after my car was built. Still waiting for Bow Tie Transmissions to finish building the stage 3 2004R. Its shipping to Alamo Speed Shop here for the swap and to swap out my tires and wheels for Cragar S/S's and Mickey Thompson Sportsmans all around..

Anybody need a new set of tires and wheels? Only burned off a couple times like in this video https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U The car looks orange on U Tube at least on my computer, its really red. Also will have the new built to handle it Turbo 350 in the car now for sale with the tires and wheels and other stuff I am replacing to make this mine.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Wow what a difference a few weeks make. it looks awesome Gary. I bet it runs good too. What gears are you running in the back?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Howdy Mario, running 3.70's in the 9" Ford rear end. I know lower gears would supposedly help my quarter mile times, but that could only be running slicks, large ones. I don't plan on racing it very much, and with the 2004r 4 speed with lock up converter, the 3.70's will be fairly decent on the highway, and certainly under stressed and cool running comparatively to the Turbo 350 in it now.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Howdy Mario, running 3.70's in the 9" Ford rear end. I know lower gears would supposedly help my quarter mile times, but that could only be running slicks, large ones. I don't plan on racing it very much, and with the 2004r 4 speed with lock up converter, the 3.70's will be fairly decent on the highway, and certainly under stressed and cool running comparatively to the Turbo 350 in it now.
That intake would work very well with those gears. I was hoping you were under 4:10 and you are. Very cool setup.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
For what ever reason when I open the hyperlink I get a utube page that says no video found.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive fuel system Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Well at long last I think I got my valve cover leaks fixed. Pretty sad when Edelbrock cant make all there high end parts work together. See this bad boy. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-20244

That is one fine set up, and it should be for the money. And I always liked these. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-4144 So I have all these items all brand new on my 383 stroker and this stuff sits on top of a set of Edelbrock heads. What Summit Racing does not tell you nor does Edelbrock, this particular manifold has runners that stick out in places where the valve covers are supposed to be. Not by a lot, but ENOUGH !

And enough is all it takes to make a huge mess under your car if your dumb enough " like me " to not notice at first. I did have a hell of a time getting the top side bolts in, but almost nothing is easy for me as a rule. A guy at Summit told me this has come up before, and suggested I take a belt sander to my over $200.00 valve covers I spent two days detailing along with the equally expensive Edelbrock Air cleaner. Seemed a bit out of place to me to have to go by a belt sander now and grind on my new valve covers that should already fit.

Looks like Edelbrock does damn little quality control in this area. I even used an Edelbrock cork valve cover gasket. So out of desperation to have it drivable next week to go to the speed shop for its trans swap and tires and wheels etc.. I tried my Moroso valve covers which are steel not cast aluminum. Still leaked but not as bad.. Last night I decided this sucked and had the idea to try a real thick gasket if I could find one on the covers. Mr. Gasket to the rescue from Pep Boys. They had a set over twice as thick as the stock ones. Took up the slack, stopped leaking.

It would be nice if the people selling this stuff and knowing some of it really blows in the fit dept. would get there collective shit together and let a fella know about it before he spends two days jacking with it all.

I took a few pictures just before posting this this evening.. She is a monstrous beauty, cant wait till the 200 4r and Mickey Thompsons with Cragar S/S's get to become part of the car next week.

I just now did this short video out in the carport. Forgot to set the automatic choke but it cranked up. Almost died on me for a second but all things considered its not too bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGO5Y6dRSmo From the little bit I have tried it its going to need to find some traction some where. Some wider Mickey Thompson Sportsmans are about to under it just not sure yet how wide I can go. Slicks would be great!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think its going to be a lot of fun going to car shows and the week end hot rod hangouts. Don't see many gassers around here. And fortunately the really nice drag strip that had been closed for a long time, is now open and looking better than ever. I'm excited about making my first full out pass. And getting used to the straight axel set up was not a big deal at all. Even on un even side streets you can turn the steering wheel loose and it tracks straight.

It takes corners very well and handles a lot better than the rough riding hard to handle car I half expected. Its turning radius is not so great, but I don't care, its a straight line monster not a Porsche.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Warlock you are a wizard!!!, Palmhurst is located at 26°15′3″N 98°18′27″W it is a city in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 2,607 at the 2010 Census. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission metropolitan area. I am about 282.85 miles from San Antonio Intl Airport or about 4 hours 21 minutes driving time. While I was listening to your car, a song came to my mind "Keep on Chooglin'" by CCR. Have order parts for my car and will get started soon as soon as this heat wave passes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Warlock you are a wizard!!!, Palmhurst is located at 26°15′3″N 98°18′27″W it is a city in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 2,607 at the 2010 Census. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission metropolitan area. I am about 282.85 miles from San Antonio Intl Airport or about 4 hours 21 minutes driving time. While I was listening to your car, a song came to my mind "Keep on Chooglin'" by CCR. Have order parts for my car and will get started soon as soon as this heat wave passes.
Well maybe we can meet half way some time or I can trailer your way before long. But your so right, the heat is killing my old butt! I have an open car port so I'm not directly in the sun, but 100 degrees sucks regardless. Next week the Nova goes to Alamo Performance for the Cragar S/S's and Mickey Thompson Sportsmans to replace the set I have now. And I am going to raise the coil overs to there top position to allow a it more room. Its mini-tubbed and that will help too in getting some serious rubber under it. I have high hopes for the stage 3 2004r 4 speed Bow Tie built for me, that's going in there too while its there. I like there neat set up for un locking the 2.400 stall converter in 3rd or 4th, with a cool brake switch set up, just touch the brake and its un locked and will be a help to me on the high way for sure.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The amount of talent that shows up on this board is amazing. Warlock, you are at the top of that impressive list. Watching builds like yours inspires me to a new and higher standard. Looking forward in meeting over a cold one to beat this heat wave.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts