Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I blew a header gasket the other day. I barely have over 100 miles on the car and they went south. What is the best gasket for the money?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Remflex are the best I've found also. They're more expensive than others but they work. They used to come with a one year warranty against blowing out but don't know if they still do. If you do get them be sure to keep your invoice on the chance you have to file a claim down the road.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Dave, I got some of those gaskets that looked like those for cast iron manifolds and almost tossed them as I figured they'd be crappy. But took a chance and used them, and they are the best I've found. They're the metal looking that have the tiny holes all over the surfaces.
But a tip with headers is in order. Once you fire the engine up with new gaskets, let it get a few hours on it, and after it cools off check all the header bolts. Do this 3 or 4 times as the headers heating and cooling will work the bolts loose. After about 4 times they should be good, but I still check mine once a year just in case a bolt works loose.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, I got some of those gaskets that looked like those for cast iron manifolds and almost tossed them as I figured they'd be crappy. But took a chance and used them, and they are the best I've found. They're the metal looking that have the tiny holes all over the surfaces.
But a tip with headers is in order. Once you fire the engine up with new gaskets, let it get a few hours on it, and after it cools off check all the header bolts. Do this 3 or 4 times as the headers heating and cooling will work the bolts loose. After about 4 times they should be good, but I still check mine once a year just in case a bolt works loose.
where they the ones that came with the headers? That is what mine looked like. I am gonna try the remflex

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
where they the ones that came with the headers? That is what mine looked like. I am gonna try the remflex
Yes, they came with my headers, and I bought several pairs later when I replaced the engine so I'd have more of them. The key is checking header bolts Dave. No matter what you use you need to keep checking those bolts for the first few heating and cooling cycles, or you'll get leaks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, they came with my headers, and I bought several pairs later when I replaced the engine so I'd have more of them. The key is checking header bolts Dave. No matter what you use you need to keep checking those bolts for the first few heating and cooling cycles, or you'll get leaks.
roger that!

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Hey Dave. crazyhorse had a good suggestion. If you can slide it out easily check the flange height on each cylinder. Sometimes they’re uneven and only good gaskets can hide the imperfection. I’ve had regular mr gasket doubled up and lasted for years. If you need to you can use a mirror and check the flange visually. One time I had to add a bead of weld and grind it even again. Otherwise all the suggestions sound great.

Reactions: 1937Austin

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Hey Dave. crazyhorse had a good suggestion. If you can slide it out easily check the flange height on each cylinder. Sometimes they’re uneven and only good gaskets can hide the imperfection. I’ve had regular mr gasket doubled up and lasted for years. If you need to you can use a mirror and check the flange visually. One time I had to add a bead of weld and grind it even again. Otherwise all the suggestions sound great.
Really good suggestion Mario! I usually check new headers with a straight edge right out of the box, because I've had to adjust them to square them up even new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts