Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share some information on Hastings piston ring changes. I found out the hard way and figured I would possibly save someone some time and headache.

They have changed the design of there top ring in some of the molly ring sets. It is now a steel ring with molly coating as opposed to the older cast iron ring with molly coating. However where it gets confusing is they changed the ring depth thickness in some sets.

The normal ring for a SBC is about .080 on the depth thickness and now the new top ring is only about .050 depth thickness.

After ordering another set (I thought they were boxed wrong) I found out from Hastings of the change and it is ok to use the new thinner ring and it is actually like a plasma molly ring.

Also a note, Hastings rings are boxed in several other brands like engine tech and Mahle and probably a few others so if you notice the change it is normal.

Hope this helps avoid some confusion because on some of the boxes and instructions do not indicate the change.

Steve

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks for the heads up steve. I'm sure you're not the only one to notice this. Glad you posted. Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts