1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Steve, thanks for sharing. This article is so true. I have been lucky enough to be involved in several parts of this. I built my 38 from the ground up and later I was able to work for a hot rod shop building cars for customers. One thing that is painfully evident is that as a person building your own car, we do not (normally) keep track of the time we put into our builds. If we did, it would probably surprise even us. Having done some customer builds, it is a wakeup call when you see how fast the hours of work rack up at $100+ an hour. And, of course the customer isn't happy, unless they understand the circumstances. As they say, quality takes time and time ain't cheap. Sorry, off my soapbox now.

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Once I got told my $25 an hour to help a friend build his hotrod was a "surprise" I stopped helping people for pay. If people are shocked and feel your time isn't worth $25 an hour, then I'll spend all that time on my own rides.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to see you back and posting again Mike; glad you enjoyed the article. Most people really are clueless about the time it takes to do things, especially the little things that seem to eat up so much of the day. Hey Vall, at $25 an hour can I bring my cars to you LMAO!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
I'm officially retired now Steve! I would still help you, if you were close enough. But not for money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts