Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Happy anniversary! Great video link Mario! Pretty cool to see the video rebuild of a SBC! But I kinda chuckled that two guys with a rail in their machine shop bored and honed a SBC without a boring plate on the block? Thought all the good shops used a boring plate during the boring and honing process these days? Still a fun video, and nice tribute to the SBC!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My friend Gary who built motors since the hay day said that motor plates keep it all aligned but the fact of the matter is you can't replicate the block distortion under high rpm so it's really just a formality that doesn't affect the bore. I think that does make sense.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I agree also that under extremely high RPM the block will distort. But just tightening the head bolts will distort a block also, at any rpm. So if you bore and hone without the plate on that simulates the head distortion, then it will be different with a head bolted on after boring. I'd prefer it's round from idle to high rpm's, than out of round all the time. Either way it will distort at higher rpm's, so why not get it right at lower rpm's?
Quality machine shops have been using boring plates for decades on high performance builds, and I've never had an engine bored that the shop didn't use one during boring and honing.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree also that under extremely high RPM the block will distort. But just tightening the head bolts will distort a block also, at any rpm. So if you bore and hone without the plate on that simulates the head distortion, then it will be different with a head bolted on after boring. I'd prefer it's round from idle to high rpm's, than out of round all the time. Either way it will distort at higher rpm's, so why not get it right at lower rpm's?
Quality machine shops have been using boring plates for decades on high performance builds, and I've never had an engine bored that the shop didn't use one during boring and honing.
You are a 100 percent right. Why not have it all lined up nice from idle till it starts distorting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts