Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from Grizzly Tool mentioning a big sale on their English wheel. I've contemplated getting one before, but don't have room for a full sized wheel, or wouldn't use one much either. This is a bench top model, so a little smaller, but still good size for a hobbyist like myself. It also comes with a good assortment of wheels with it for under $80, and only $14 S&H, so cheap enough for almost everyone to own and learn on. Regular price is $130. Sale ends on the 25th of this month, so only 6 days left!
I ordered one today, so I'll play with it this winter and see how if I can learn some basic skills on this wheel.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Benchtop-English-Wheel/T25101

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Vall, if I'm reading it correctly, it comes with the lower anvils and storage rack for just under $80 that's not a bad price. Now it says it will shape 16 gauge mild steel which is more then you may ever need to do. At the very least, you will have a blast making a scrap pile of different 3 dimensional shapes and even some reverse curves. don't think you'll get hurt owning that one.... :D

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vall, if I'm reading it correctly, it comes with the lower anvils and storage rack for just under $80 that's not a bad price. Now it says it will shape 16 gauge mild steel which is more then you may ever need to do. At the very least, you will have a blast making a scrap pile of different 3 dimensional shapes and even some reverse curves. don't think you'll get hurt owning that one.... :D
Yeah, I seriously doubt I'd do much thicker than 20 ga. most the time. I will also pick up a a shrinker/stretcher some time if they have one on sale too. I'd like to play with making scrap in between car builds, and hopefully get at least good enough to make some patch panels. Or maybe a candy bowl for the wife! ;)

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the English wheel, and assembled it. It's definitely not for large work, as the opening is 15" from the wheels to the back support, so nothing over 30" total would fit. Seems to be pretty well made, and once I clamped it in my bench top vise it feels solid.
Need to get some scraps of tin to start playing with it and see if it needs any adjustments, or tweaks.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Hey Vall post up some pictures. I have a small bench top E-wheel and other then my large throat wheel, it will do anything my large wheel will do.
My bench top is actually a lot stiffer and starts shaping quicker then my floor model. You do want some deflection to be able to ride over the bumps. But obviously not so much that it deflects side to side.
You mentioned you will only be able to do a 30 inch panel. It's tuff to do a large panel on your own, where when larger panels will sag and take on shapes not wanted. Even when you have two people, it takes a bit to be coordinated to work together to get your tracking pattern right.
But no matter, you are going to have a blast making shapes without cutting and welding. :) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts