Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post here a few days ago, can't quite remember which one. One of our members described there automatic trans as a manual shift.
So that got me thinking, I purchased a TCI trans from from a fellow that always has great parts and fair deals. I thought , I never did check mine. :confused: so yesterday we lifted the body of my Grumman and looked for something to identify it. Tom found a number but I told him NA that's a factory number stamped on the tail shaft. Then looking closer I said " hey these numbers look to be stamped over some older not as deep numbers.
So I called TCI and ask them how to identify and well enough those were the numbers. :cool:
So the tech guy says, it a full manual reveres pattern. :rolleyes: ok not exactly what I wanted to hear but he proceeds to tell me the value, with the torque converter. Well now this makes a nice difference. :cool: however it's still not exactly what I was looking for.
I might look into purchasing another valve body with like a firm shift street and strip type.
I've had manual shift auto's in the past and there ok but kinda wanted to put it in drive and go and if I felt like shifting it was may option. :D

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Yes Steve, both my Austin and my Camaro are full manual shuft autos, but not reverse pattern. I like them myself, but I can see where some vehicles would be better served as full automatics, not manual shift.

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vall there's a shop in town were this fellow dose gears and race transmissions, and I thought of taking it down there for him to look at since the trans was built about four years ago and was shelfed. At the same time get his input on another valve body for my use. Now I've switched out my own before but in rather stock transmissions. I'm not quite sure what else TCI did that a street and strip valve body would upset. The TCI fellow put it in a category well above street. It would be some what of a waste. However if an auto valve body would be fine without changing anything else, I would imagine I would for ( my use ) have a bullit proof unit. Any thought ?

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Well I'd agree that for your uses the Kubvan would be better with a full automatic valve body. One of the drawbacks to a full manual is no compression or engine braking in 1st or 2nd, so that's a concern if you downshift. to help slowdown.
I'd sure keep that one, or put it up for sale, as they aren't cheap! Do you know if it's just the reverse manual valve body, or is it also a trans brake? If it's also a trans brake the vacuum modulator will be replaced with a solenoid brake valve that have two wires coming out for the trans brake.
If it's just a reverse valve body w. manual shift they're around $200, but if it also has the trans brake they're around $500. To put the manual valve body in requires a few ball bearings to be put in at certain places, or taken out. It's been so long I don't recall all that I went through, but I know it went very fast.
Here's a link to the installation instructions for a manual valve body with trans brake:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/tci-321500.pdf
And here's for just the reverse manual body:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/tci-321100.pdf

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
That's a very solid tranny, and a return to auto shouldn't be an issue for a tranny guy. I know pretty little about automatics, and can follow instructions, but I'd need reverse instructions to change mine back to auto.

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Vall while looking up the auto valve body I noticed it won't let you select revers shift patern. Not that big of a deal but wouldn't mind having that option. Kinda keeps ya from hitting neutral when the excitement kicks in. My shifter that I don't want to give up is not gear jamming material. Again not a must have..... ;)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I had a shift kitted TH400 and standard shift pattern, got used to shifting forward to upshift. Then I went to a manual reverse valve body in another TH400 and I had a hell of a time changing my habit from pushing forward to pulling back for each upshift. I even got paranoid and would hesitate before shifting, worring whether I was going the right way. Ussed ta make me bary nernus. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Both of my autos have rachet shifters, so it's impossible to go the wrong way, or hit neutral. When you're headed down the strip and full of adrenaline it's nice not to have to think about something else! I know they're not period correct, but that's another area that I don't mind being modern.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts