Gasser HotRod Forums banner
4541 - 4545 of 4545 Posts

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Great day here today with temps around 60 degrees, and sunny. Had the old Ford Fusion in the shop for an airbag, and brake recall last week, and they called to tell me I needed brakes too. So I figured why not let them do it, and asked how much? Turn rotors, and new pads $200 per wheel! Never mind, I think I can take care of that myself!
So today was the day, and figured a couple hours would be plenty of time. Fronts took about 30 minutes per side as they didn't need rotors turned. Rears looked even easier until I got the calipers off and discovered the pistons need some special tool to turn the pistons to retract. Couldn't be simple like the front and just compress with a C clamp.
So off to NAPA to buy the special spanner tool that fits a 3/8 ratchet. Got home and began turning and turning, and turning, and still wasn't retracting enough to slide over the new pads. Little internet search revealed they sometimes need the bleeder opened slightly to allow the piston to retract. Even after cracking the bleeder it took a lot of turning until the caliper finally fit over. Finished the right rear, and expected more of the same on left rear, but a few turns and darned if it didn't retract back with no issues.
Certainly NOT one of Ford's better ideas, and the guy at NAPA told me a number of imports also use this same stupid setup. Fortunately the little multitool block with different pins on each side is only $6. Not sure how they make them, and make a profit at that price? 65,000 miles on these pads (maybe more!) so doubt I'll ever do another brake job on this Furd again. But $46 for both sets of ceramic pads is a lot better than $800!

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
I found a disc brake tool kit at Harbor Freight that would make this job much easier. $50, but if I ever do my wife's car it has the same setup at the rear, and I'll gladly pay $50 to eliminate my frustration level!

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
Good morning guys!
Woke up this morning to a big surprise! 3" of snow on the ground, and still coming down heavily! First time in over 70 years that I've ever seen snow in April here! Crazy!

4541 - 4545 of 4545 Posts