Gasser HotRod Forums banner
4541 - 4560 of 4586 Posts

·
Administrator
13,765 Posts
Great day here today with temps around 60 degrees, and sunny. Had the old Ford Fusion in the shop for an airbag, and brake recall last week, and they called to tell me I needed brakes too. So I figured why not let them do it, and asked how much? Turn rotors, and new pads $200 per wheel! Never mind, I think I can take care of that myself!
So today was the day, and figured a couple hours would be plenty of time. Fronts took about 30 minutes per side as they didn't need rotors turned. Rears looked even easier until I got the calipers off and discovered the pistons need some special tool to turn the pistons to retract. Couldn't be simple like the front and just compress with a C clamp.
So off to NAPA to buy the special spanner tool that fits a 3/8 ratchet. Got home and began turning and turning, and turning, and still wasn't retracting enough to slide over the new pads. Little internet search revealed they sometimes need the bleeder opened slightly to allow the piston to retract. Even after cracking the bleeder it took a lot of turning until the caliper finally fit over. Finished the right rear, and expected more of the same on left rear, but a few turns and darned if it didn't retract back with no issues.
Certainly NOT one of Ford's better ideas, and the guy at NAPA told me a number of imports also use this same stupid setup. Fortunately the little multitool block with different pins on each side is only $6. Not sure how they make them, and make a profit at that price? 65,000 miles on these pads (maybe more!) so doubt I'll ever do another brake job on this Furd again. But $46 for both sets of ceramic pads is a lot better than $800!

·
Administrator
13,765 Posts
I found a disc brake tool kit at Harbor Freight that would make this job much easier. $50, but if I ever do my wife's car it has the same setup at the rear, and I'll gladly pay $50 to eliminate my frustration level!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Good morning gassers! Rainy here today, but supposed to blow out of here for a great Holiday weekend. God bless the troops who gave it all.

·
Administrator
13,765 Posts
Good morning gassers!
We got a soggy start to summer, but since the 4th the weather has been perfect! We had mid 90's Monday and Tuesday, but mostly low to mid 80's ever since, which is temps I love! A small town North of me is having their annual Harvest Festival starting tonight. The kickoff tonight is closing down Main St. and letting the cars take it over from 6:00-10:00 p.m. for a cruise.
I'll be heading up early to our daughter's house to beat rush hour traffic across the Columbia River, and then son in law and I will drive over for the cruise. Always a fun event if your car runs cool like my '39 Chev gasser does. Will top out at 85 degrees today, so perfect weather again!
Try to get some pictures of the cruise, and staging area cars.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Sounds like fun Vall. Hope it goes well. Our weather here is 80’s too.

Reactions: 1937Austin

·
Administrator
13,765 Posts
Some of the cars before the cruise, parked waiting to leave.
My buddy's Ford coupe with a big 392 hemi. Think it's a '35? He built this car when he was 17 and he's 74 now. Been redone a couple times over the years.

Another friend's '55 Pontiac gasser that his grandfather bought new in 1955.

468 Pontiac engine.

An electrician I used too work with owns this tri power 468 Corvette.

And another guy I know owns this '55 Chev pickup with twin 8-71 superchargers on the SBC engine.

Caught this old Chevy coupe coming towards me as we were hung up in traffic jam. No details.

And not sure who owns this old clunker '39?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
My buddy's Ford coupe with a big 392 hemi. Think it's a '35? He built this car when he was 17 and he's 74 now. Been redone a couple times over the years.

468 Pontiac engine.

And another guy I know owns this '55 Chev pickup with twin 8-71 superchargers on the SBC engine.

Caught this old Chevy coupe coming towards me as we were hung up in traffic jam. No details.

Haha I know who owns that boss white hotrod. Nice cars thanks for posting. I was going to the beach cars and coffee in the morning but the radar and forecast is not good for a convertible. :cry:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

468 Pontiac engine.

Great photos Vall; some really, really nice cars. Looks like it was probably a super nice time. Thanks for posting!!

·
Administrator
13,765 Posts
My granddaughter said the '39 was "too loud" when I had the headers opened. Fortunately her dad brought ear plugs for her, so once she put them in it was OK. I told them to bring a pillow since I have no backseat, but they forgot. So she was either crouched in the rear, or sitting on the carpeted floor most the time. They lasted about 90 minutes until she gave up and they headed for home. I stayed a little longer and then headed out too. Not as much fun cruising by yourself as it is with others in the car.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Good morning Gassers
Gonna be a hot one today. High 90’s.

Reactions: 1937Austin
4541 - 4560 of 4586 Posts