Gasser HotRod Forums banner
4461 - 4473 of 4473 Posts

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
That sounds like fun! I know where you are talking about from when I lived in Salem in 1995.
We've been to the museum, but never to the car show. The "concours" part always made me avoid it as anytime I see that word attached to a show it means vintage restored cars. But my buddy told me they have lots of hotrods show and either of my gassers would be welcomed.
Need to decide if I leave early and take the Washington side that's a winding slower highway, or jet up I-84 that's 70 mph, and just get there. Maybe do I-84 up, and Hwy 14 coming home.

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
The run to Maryhill was a white knuckled experience for my wife and I!! We left at 6:00 a.m. and besides being dark, not having wipers or a defroster further complicated things, and made it scarier! Wiped all the dew off the glass, and stopped several times to do so again. It was high 40's when we headed across the river, and within the first 15 minutes we began to hit patches of fog! Then not long after Hwy 14 turns to a twisty, winding highway that's a pretty narrow two lane. We hit several spots going 50 mph where we couldn't see 20 ft., and had to hit the brakes hard to slow down enough to stay on the road. I kept wondering when someone was going to rear end us!
Suddenly the air cleaned up, and the fog lifted. Then it also began to warm up outside, and the windshield stayed clear too! After about 45 minutes of driving the sky began to lighten, and then we had to deal with the sun directly in our eyes heading East. But better than not seeing at all, and fog! The last hour of the trip was very pleasant, and we arrived unharmed. Once we arrived the sun quickly warmed up, and it ended up a gorgeous 75 degree day! 100 mile drive home was amazing!
The concours was certainly a odd name for what turned out to be just a neat car show. Hardly any "concours" type cars there, and lots of other hotrods. No other gassers, but that's pretty common at most shows we have around here. Had a great time, and with all the wives and families at the show my wife really enjoyed the day too! Met a lot of nicee folks who asked great questions about the '39, so had fun visiting all day.
Bonus was my wife bought raffle tickets (which I never do!) and she won two different prizes. Both happened to be buckets full of cleaning, waxing, and detailing supplies! One had one of those foaming soap applicators that you add car wash soap too, and then attach to your hose. So I made out like a bandit on her raffle wins! Set for life with Maguire's wax, and all sorts of interior, exterior, and tire care products!

·
Registered
809 Posts
In Chicago for the week, cloudy and 70 so far every day. putting in 12 hour days working on ground equipment for United Airlines'. I will be back next week....

·
Registered
671 Posts
In Chicago for the week, cloudy and 70 so far every day. putting in 12 hour days working on ground equipment for United Airlines'. I will be back next week....
I'm sorry.

·
Registered
809 Posts
looks like fall is here. nice crisp 50's in the morning and 70's in the afternoon.

·
Registered
660 Posts
wow nice...…...… in the morning high 80's to 90's in the afternoon. feels like 100 -112's. but that is the way it has been since I can recall. Makes me wonder about all this climate change !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
60 degrees this morning and foggy as I have ever seen it. Not used to the farther south weather. Minnesota rarely ever had fog and here it has been more times than I can count.

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
Sunny, clear, and 48 degrees here this morning. The radiator for my granddaughter's Mazda is supposed to be delivered today. Hopefully early enough I can finish the rebuild on her wrecked frontend! I have the fenders, bumper, and hood installed and rattle can painted. Just waiting for this radiator so I can install the new fans, radiator, headlights, and grille, to finish it.
Hopefully I wont be doing it again in six months, like this time!

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Sunny, clear, and 48 degrees here this morning. The radiator for my granddaughter's Mazda is supposed to be delivered today. Hopefully early enough I can finish the rebuild on her wrecked frontend! I have the fenders, bumper, and hood installed and rattle can painted. Just waiting for this radiator so I can install the new fans, radiator, headlights, and grille, to finish it.
Hopefully I wont be doing it again in six months, like this time!
You are a good dad Vall. The earlier years you could scuff and shoot urethane enamel right over the other paint. Miss those days.

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
You are a good dad Vall. The earlier years you could scuff and shoot urethane enamel right over the other paint. Miss those days.
Radiator came in early, and the rest the car went together pretty easily. Did have one issue with AC condenser upper mounts. They were bent and didn't know what they should look like, or how they should point? Turned out they were bent forward, and actually needed to not be bent at all, but be straight up. Bent them straight with channel locks, and it all fell together.
Actually surprised how nice and clean it looked under the hood after I finished it up. The drawback is the off color front clip, but it's close enough for that old Mazda. Better than the gold colored parts too. Had a little smoke coming out from under the hood at first, as I went brain dead the other day, and tried to start it to move it a couple feet. Then realized I had the tranny lines disconnected! Made a little mess with maybe 1/2 qt. of fluid squirted on the engine, and exhaust. But it stopped smoking once it burn off.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
You are the man. eveready hotrodder. keeps going and going. :)

Reactions: 1946Austin

·
Administrator
13,578 Posts
What a gorgeous day today! The weather was clear blue skies this morning, and high of 70 degrees they said. So drug the Austin out of the garage, and went for a cruise. Got home and my phone was ringing, and it was my oldest son up in Washington asking if I was out driving the Austin? How'd he know from 250 miles away?
He told me his oldest son, (my grandson) was in town working and stopped to have tires put on the company truck, and had just seen the Austin drive past the tire store! So I jumped in the daily driver and ran over to the tire store. Waited for them to mount up 6 tires, and then we headed back home!
Had a really great visit, as I haven't seen Nick in several years, since his work takes him all over the West 330 days a year! We talked cars, and showed him the '39 and he loves old hotrods. Then we got the call that the "new" used Subaru we're buying from our daughter's coworker was ready to finish the deal. So we headed out to the daughter's house to get the car. A 2014 Subaru Legacy AWD with only 8,000 original miles! Still smells like a new car inside! Deb is pretty excited, and keeps looking out the kitchen window to see if it's really there. :)
I kept her old Ford Fusion for myself, as I really like that car, and it's only got 100,000 miles, so I wanted to keep it. Save wear and tear on my '69 Suburban.

4461 - 4473 of 4473 Posts