Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I putter along collecting parts for my Frankenstein,...one of my buddies is wanting to build a hi revving sbc...301..or big bore 283...anyway, wondering what gears would work best for the 1/4 mile...small car ( falcon), and at the moment, 350 auto. Have watched guys run outta gear before they run out of track...thanks..

·
Administrator
13,420 Posts
A short stroke 283 or 301 can easily run 4.88 gears, and if it's built to really wind I've known guys who ran 5.36 gears. My buddy runs 5.36 in his car with a short stroke SBC, but it's winding about 8500 each shift, and built to do that regularly. It depends on the components your friend uses to build the engine, as much as the bore and stroke.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
+1 on that Val.
My conservatively built pump gas 377 won't make the end of the 1/4. I run out of motor at 7000 rpm. I'm running 5:57 gears with a 400 turbo and a 4500 stall converter. It launches great and I leave with the hi 10's boys but they slowly pull away and then I run out of motor so back up into the 12's I go. I used to run 11:80's with an old Lt-1 and 456's in the back. So 12's are so disappointing to me.

·
Administrator
13,420 Posts
One thing some people don't consider as it pertains to rpm's and drag racing, is the rpm's in each gear. An engine that will rev 7,000 rpm's in neutral or 1st gear, may not do that as easily as you work your way through the gears. The strain on an engine when free revving or 1st gear, is not the same as taking the same engine up to 7,000 in top gear. That last gear is tall enough that the engine works harder, and is in that gear longer, so the engine needs to be very strong to be able to get to 7,000 rpm and maintain it to the end.
I tend to shift my cars pretty early, and usually well below what I think they'll hold. I'm only at the drag strip a couple times a year, and I want my engines to last many years of street driving, so I don't push them as hard as I should to get the most out of them at the strip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts