Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just found this place and as I'm about to start on my Gasser project thought I might make a cup of coffee, pull up a chair and have a look around.
To save someone from asking, I presently have a '48 Bedford truck I have been working towards turning into a Gasser, but the other day a kind chap placed an add for a '50 Austin A40 Van for sale on Facebook Marketplace. I'm going to pick it up next Monday !!! The Bedford is up for sale.
Here in Australia we have a bunch of guys who build and race Vintage Gassers, sort of like your American Vintage Gasser Groups and I plan on playing with those guys once the Austin is done. Plans for the car include, obviously, straight tube front axle, 351 Windsor engine hooked to a T400 transmission. Hey, I'm an old guy OK give me a break. Going to chop the body and paint is planned on a 'old' style custom finish - lace, flames, fish scales, infinity lines. All the old stuff from back in the day.
Why an Austin? When I was a lad of about 15 or 16 I saw an Austin Drag Car, that came from New Zealand, in a Hot Rod magazine and wanted it, or one like it, from that day to now. Looks as if my dream is about to come true.
Pics and reports for you guys as something happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
welcome i hope everything works out for you iam in my late sixtys and just finished the gasser i always wanted i drive the hell out of it when the weather is good keep us posted on your work

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hello Grazza, welcome to the site!! We love new members, especially members that post; big, little, any post with information about your build and don't forget photos, lots of photos. Quite a few of the members have started their build threads with information and photos beginning with the day they loaded their future gasser on a trailer to take it home. When one of our members, Lash, reads your "'old' style custom finish - lace, flames, fish scales, infinity lines. All the old stuff from back in the day." he will definitely be replying because that's right up his alley. He just recently finished a beautiful lace paint project on the hood of his Ranger pick up.
Maybe you can get some of your gasser mates to join, we'd love to see and hear from them about their gassers too.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hi Grazza
welcome to the site. Hope to see your pics of your project. Hope you enjoy the ride.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear there will be another Austin guy here!
My dream from the 1960's was to someday own an Austin gasser, and it took me until 2010 when I bought my stock Austin A8 to make a gasser. I've been enjoying mine for a decade now and wont ever sell it. Looking forward to seeing your A40 panel, as those are super rare here in the States!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
hide-d-oh neighbor down under...I have followed some of the Aussie rules on building my truck...pretty strict and a lot of certification required looking forward to your progress

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, having a little fun working out how to post pic's. Those are a little large, but otherwise I guess it's OK.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Same here, attachments don't open only get an error message.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Welcome to our site, I think you will enjoy the posts. Most everyone here is supportive and willing to share information and techniques. Put your feet up, grab a cold one and stay awhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts