Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys, I just got home today from my trip to California for Gassers 3 in El Segundo. Beer 30 "Craig" was the man that told me about it, and had planned to be there but couldn't. I sure thank him for being the guy that made it possible in the first place.

I was facing down big fears of hauling my little Nova behind my RV all the way to El Segundo from San Antonio. And I got to say that Los Angeles traffic is and always will be at the top of the list of UGLY!!! And its a real good thing my RV GPS knew where the exits were.

I was amazed by the turn out, and the cars were mostly spectacular. I was kind of worried my car was going to look like a turd next to the big boys there. But it was received pretty well, and all in all I guess it fit in with the rest around it.

Red Ridin Hood the beautiful candy apple red inspiration for my car showed up to my huge surprise. I did my best not to drool on it when close by.

I reckon the best part of the whole experience was talking to Ed Iskenderian. And his buddy and partner for half a century, "Bones" I wont say I ever heard of Bones or the other guys there who were speaking guests there. But I have model cars to this day that I built back in the 60's that Mr. Isky built or was responsible for it existing.

I had just bought some T shirts for the event and Mr. Isky "easier than spelling his whole name" was nice enough to happily sign my T shirt. I have it mounted in a big frame with an autographed picture of his first hot rod.

I have lots of pictures I'll show some here and some more in separate posts. But anybody can just go to Facebook or U Tube and see it all.

I spent some time in Tucson on the way to California and on the way back. Wednesday night my sister and I hit the streets of Tucson in the Nova, looking for anything to do and came up on a small gathering of very nice cars. I met a guy named Charlie who has a beautiful 57 Chevy Gasser.

I'll post pics of his car too. Here are a few from t he show.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hey Warlock...its about time you checked back in....nice photos...glad you are having a great time with the nova....looks right at home with the rest

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Sounds like a really great trip. Glad you got to spend some quality time with family as well. And I concur with Lash, that lil' Nova looks right at home!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip, and glad you made it happen! I met Ed at the community college here back 4 years ago! He is such a sharp guy, and a walking history of early hotrodding! He graciously signed the dashboard on my Austin gasser!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too attended. It was great.
Ed signed my Studey glove box door, as well as "Bones" Balough.

Seeing my car in your first picture makes me feel pretty good. I know its child like and all, but seeing pictures of my car on line that I didn't take has me jumping for joy! I was and am just happy to be there in the first place, getting to park along side some top end rides that really showed me "what fur" as my dad used to say.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to re size all my pictures to fit, I'm not getting it done too quickly.

The picture of my car inside with the yellow car behind it is where the museum generously allowed my self and one other guy to stash his car safely over night prior to the show.

The beautiful Packard was inside in a special enclosed area inside the museum. It was a "33" I believe, and was perfection front to back, I never knew cars had electric cigarette lighters back then. Pulling the car behind the RV had its own challenges but its all good after all the on the job training I got. Being an over the road truck driver for over 25 years helped a bit.

The beautiful 57 Gasser owned by a nice guy named Charlie I met in Tucson on the way home to Texas. I grew up in Tucson and went to Saguaro High school all but my last year. We cruised the streets of Tucson and people acted like we came from mars or something! I never in my life had my picture taken so many times by and with people I never saw in my life before. Oh ya the little Dart gasser was really nice and sounded even better.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Really nice pics, thanks for sharing. Hate looking at all those blowers though, makes me want one even more.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really nice pics, thanks for sharing. Hate looking at all those blowers though, makes me want one even more.

Well it makes me feel better knowing you are bouncing the idea around of a blower set up. I would love it, and don't mind admitting that a blower would be more for looks and "that sound" than the power it makes. But all I know "or think I know" is that 10.5 to 1 compression wont work, and I would need a new set of pistons I'm guessing. My understanding is around 8.0 to 1 would be pretty good for a street set up blower. But how you tune a supercharged engine I don't know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts