Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am building my first gasser and have a few questions about the steering and suspension. First off, I am planning on using a Speedway axle kit with a 525 steering box. I gave thought to the Vega box, but I thought the car would be too heavy with a 454 for using a Vega box. I noticed all of the Speedway kits use heim joints for their steering linkage. This also means the drag link will be using heim joints as well. I have never used heim joints for steering systems before and was curious if any uses them. The goal with the car is to drive this gasser on the road all over the country.

Next question is on the rear suspension. I am planning on using a Ford 9 inch axle. I would like to retain the leaf springs and run ladder bars. Due to the quarter panels having a low wheel well opening, I was planning on mounting the 9 inch under the leaf springs to give me a little more clearance so I don't have to cut and radius the quarter panels. Then of course run the ladder bars. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
All,

I am building my first gasser and have a few questions about the steering and suspension. First off, I am planning on using a Speedway axle kit with a 525 steering box. I gave thought to the Vega box, but I thought the car would be too heavy with a 454 for using a Vega box. I noticed all of the Speedway kits use heim joints for their steering linkage. This also means the drag link will be using heim joints as well. I have never used heim joints for steering systems before and was curious if any uses them. The goal with the car is to drive this gasser on the road all over the country.

Next question is on the rear suspension. I am planning on using a Ford 9 inch axle. I would like to retain the leaf springs and run ladder bars. Due to the quarter panels having a low wheel well opening, I was planning on mounting the 9 inch under the leaf springs to give me a little more clearance so I don't have to cut and radius the quarter panels. Then of course run the ladder bars. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hey! That is exactly how I have my rear end set up. I moved my axle under the springs and built my own ladder bars. I also used Heim joints with no issues at all. I used a Trans Am WS-6 rear axle and cut all brackets off. I then got a spring perch to go on top of the axle and under the spring. Your springs should have a button to sit inside the perch and then you put a bracket on top of the springs and then weld the perch and put the U brackets on. I will try to find some pics for you.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Not sure why your post didn't show up until over a month later?

I've used heim ends on every build I've done for all the steering components, and ladder bars. They can eventually wear enough to rattle after enough miles, but my Austin has 15,000 miles over 12 years and they're still good. I doubt most people will ever put enough miles on their gasser to wear them out.
As for ladder bars and leaf springs there are a couple ways to do that. The first is to use floater mounts on the axle to allow the springs to move up and down, yet let the mounting point freely move a small amount on the spring. The second way is to mount the axle to the spring in the usual method, and install a short shackle at the front of the ladder bar to eliminate spring bind on compression. I used this on my last two builds, and it works good. It doesn't let the suspension move totally free, as the ladder bar is still restricted, but it allows enough movement to not bind the springs. The shackle angle needs to be about 30-45 degrees so the lower attachment to the ladder bar is back behind the frame mounting point, which allows the axle to move back as it compresses.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hi, when I was building my front suspension, I called Borgeson Steering and asked about the use of a Vega box, they recommended that anything over 3000 pounds use the 525 style box. It was one of those things that the Vega box might work and it might also break. So I went with the 525. It is a little bigger, but works well.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Hi, when I was building my front suspension, I called Borgeson Steering and asked about the use of a Vega box, they recommended that anything over 3000 pounds use the 525 style box. It was one of those things that the Vega box might work and it might also break. So I went with the 525. It is a little bigger, but works well.
And for guys who've accidentally made the wrong choice, the 525 box uses the same bolt pattern as a Vega, so easily changed out. Just needs a different spline input joint.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Good to know Vall. I have a big block laying around and I just need the box you suggested. Then another project. Lol

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Was it due to weight , or just not a good box , I’m about to mount one myself … 67’ Rambler
I think they mentioned that with the big block weight the vega box would struggle driving the cross steer.

·
Administrator
13,872 Posts
Was it due to weight , or just not a good box , I’m about to mount one myself … 67’ Rambler
I've seen a good number of Chinese Vega boxes fail, even without a lot of weight. But seen good Vega boxes fail with too much weight also. Besides weight, the front tire width also has much to do with how they wear. A wider tire, plus heavy car can be an issue.
Borgeson does set a conservative limit on their great quality Vega boxes, as they have no idea what width wheel, or offset you'll be using. I run a Borgeson Vega box on my '39 Chevy, and have put a lot of miles on it in a short time with no issues. If it fails I'll swap it out for a 525 Borgeson box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts