Registered
7,603 Posts
Seems to be fords and mercs these days.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I like

what can be seen of this car except for the scoop. I've never been a fan of shot gun scoops. Would have loved to have seen a photo of that SOHC motor sitting in that engine compartment.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
I joined a Facebook group called old gassers and they keep posting picks like this all day long.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
See that another popped up. All I can say is wow.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Cool prostreet

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
This is pretty cool too. Oh wow check it out. The coupe behind is a GM body like my Chevy coupe. They did that 33-35. I think on the hood it says pontiac hand written.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I think

I may have seen an XKE gasser type car like this a loooooooooong time ago but I do believe this is the first gasser style car I've ever seen with what appear to be real wire rims with knock offs!!

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Next gasser of the day.
Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Car Tire

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Here’s one you don’t see on a regular basis
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I just

opened the site and saw this latest post; Vall beat me to it. The first thing I noticed was the transverse spring front axle. I remember a while back on one of the build threads this style front end was being debated with the prominent thoughts being it wasn't a safe set up at high speeds and probably not to stable under a heavier car. I think I replied with photos of several fuel altereds that ran this set up but they are certainly much lighter than a funny car. I'd say this photo pretty much answers that question. I just wish this photo had been in color; Don Gays' Poncho was that beautiful Candy Red

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Your wish will come true. Almost
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
opened the site and saw this latest post; Vall beat me to it. The first thing I noticed was the transverse spring front axle. I remember a while back on one of the build threads this style front end was being debated with the prominent thoughts being it wasn't a safe set up at high speeds and probably not to stable under a heavier car. I think I replied with photos of several fuel altereds that ran this set up but they are certainly much lighter than a funny car. I'd say this photo pretty much answers that question. I just wish this photo had been in color; Don Gays' Poncho was that beautiful Candy Red

Steve, you might look closely at Don Gay's '65 GTO transverse spring front axle setup, and notice it's not your typical installation. Don ran a hand built very wide mounting bracket that clamped almost a foot of the spring center to help in stabilizing the transverse spring in his big GTO. And his car also was kept lower stance, so less body roll.
So yes, a transverse spring can be made to work on a bigger car, but not with the typical style mount. And of course the lower stance too.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
that Mario; now if you can come through with that SOHC motor I want for my 53 I'll be yours forever, LOL..........
lol

well pal if I had the riches to share it would be at your door step already.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Vall,

I did see that, kind of hard to miss that big ass front mount. I was just pointing out that with the correct engineering and mounting that is was possible to do on a heavy vehicle. Plus it looks really cool!!!

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
Yes, it's a huge mounting plate, and I bet it added a fair amount of weight to what is usually a lighter transverse spring setup! With the added weight to make it more stable, I'd think a parallel spring setup would be as light.

1621 - 1640 of 1640 Posts