• rusted mafia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the undertaker

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I like the name on it now! I'd just leave it, or enhance the existing, if you want it to show up better. Sometimes a garage or shop name is as good or better than a car name.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I agree with Vall..... the door lettering looks great. If you would want to have a catchy name on your truck you could always add it to the sides of the hood.

·
Registered
77 Posts
being a GMC ( YES?) I'd have to find a name that works with "JiMmY".... just my 2 cents... i.e. Smackdown Jimmy"....Jump"n Jimmy......"course, I'm a guy with a half ford-half chrysler and claim to have a "FoPar"

·
Registered
175 Posts
Technically, without a straight axle and well headers it doesn't meet most people's criteria to be called a gasser. As it appears right now, it more properly fits the look of a rat rod. If you plan to leave it this way, I agree with the others who recommend you leave it alone. The garage name and weather worn lettering fit perfectly with the look of the truck. I don't think you can get much "cooler" unless you're planning a restoration. That would be a whole new ballgame.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Technically, without a straight axle and well headers it doesn't meet most people's criteria to be called a gasser.
Pretty sure '55-'59 Chevy trucks all had a straight axle. I still see leafs on one picture, so this one appears to have one still.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pretty sure '55-'59 Chevy trucks all had a straight axle. I still see leafs on one picture, so this one appears to have one still.
Touche Valle, you are correct. But looks like it carries stock ride height and lacks the well headers to meet my old school definition of a gasser. Then again... I'm just old. :) Either way it looks kinda cool like it is.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Yes, I agree with your thinking. A little higher up front, some fenderwell headers, would say "gasser". But it is a cool looking old Chevy truck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
It needs to look like a gasser , fenderwell headers higher in the front,maybe tilt nose. Right now it looks like a rat rod or a shop truck. I used to tow with an old Dodge truck that lookes similar when I raced a 57 nomad in C/MP back in the 60's.
I have raced in the gasser days and up until Modified eliminator was eliminated. Then raced nostalgic gassers. This is what a Gasser looks like,my last true Gasser.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
It needs to look like a gasser , fenderwell headers higher in the front,maybe tilt nose. Right now it looks like a rat rod or a shop truck. I used to tow with an old Dodge truck that lookes similar when I raced a 57 nomad in C/MP back in the 60's.
I have raced in the gasser days and up until Modified eliminator was eliminated. Then raced nostalgic gassers. This is what a Gasser looks like,my last true Gasser.
That was one cool ride. Still around somewhere?

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I agree, and most of us know a gasser look when we see it. But we're not too critical here at Gasser Hotrods, and that keeps things friendly and civil. We all have different tastes, and budgets, so we do what we can with what we have to work with. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts

Like this one? :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
first of december its goin in the shop to get handmade fenderwell headers as well as a 4in lift in front redoing leaf spring mounts

about a month ago i removed and had i-beam powdercoated white ;)

so it is goin to be a gasser soon and me and wife have decided on cranky yankee in a faded white to look aged

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i want it to be a gasser for sure i just gotta do it a little at a time on a budget...i save money and do some work then save more money and so-on lol

i just ordered a new set of m/t aluminum valve covers and i ordered a pair of offenhauser valve cover breathers

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did not mean be critical of the truck ,but for those of us who lived and breathed and actually raced Gasser know that it was non -gasser cars that diluted the classes. I blame NHRA for not having the foresight to stop the early funny car looking Gassers from taking out all of the older cars in the name of aero dynamics.
I could take a late model Jap car and stick a straight axle under it and put a small block and make it rear wheel drive.Would this forum like to see a Honda Accord Gasser? How about a Kia Rio?
I really like the changes you are making to your truck. I also know about having to do things one step at a time. I thought I would never get my Morris Minor done and now I am looking at least a year down the road before my 57 is running.Maybe longer,depending on how much work I have to do for other people.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts