Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to see an actual vintage rule book for the Gas Class from the late 60's. Who would have something like that?

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I don't have a rule book for gas classes, but I do have Larry Davis' book, Gasser Wars, which has all the old rules in it. It can be found on Ebay occasionally, and I highly reccommend it for numerous reasons, as it's a wealth of info from the gasser era of racing.
If you find the hard bound copy they are spendy at around $250-$300, but the soft cover copies are as cheap as $60, and pretty easy to find at Amazon for around $85. I found mine at Ebay a couple years ago for $34, but it keeps climbing all the time.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a old NHRA rule book for 1969. I try and follow that with some concessions for modern safety itmes. If you need specific areas I can copy them.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Thanks, I have it.
Pages 20-43 cover the much of the rules, and the changes made to the rules year to year. It's not the rules verbatem, but from the rule books I've looked at that friends have, it is better than the rules. Many of the drivers kept strictly to the rules, but often I see things in the rules that state things like, "no suspension modification to enhance weight transfer". To me that's a jaw dropper, as almost everyone modified their suspension to get better weight transfer.
Their were a few rules that seemed to be cast in stone, such as all fenders remain on the car, and front fenders not modified, but rears could be radiused. Also the wheelbase length, and placement was strict. Some guys didn't abide and were forced into Altered class when they got to tech. The 24" crankshaft center from ground was strictly maintained too. Having to use a stock frame was also stricty enforced, but nothing said it couldn't be modified, or that it needed to be the frame from that car. SWC, Ohio George, and others, ran Willys frames under other cars. As long as most of it was factory, and from some car, it seemed to be OK.
The full interior was a real gray area, and saw many people removing rear seats, and going to lightweight front buckets, and NHRA seemed to modify the rules as more guys did it.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Hey Guy! Jeff-(1956 Chevy Gasser) has some rulebooks, so maybe we can scan one from the late 60's and get it posted here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts