Gasser HotRod Forums banner
321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Thanks all for the nice vibes! This was a nice time to finally be using my car a bit at the end of the "crusin season" after about a 2 years of build time. Its far from being where I want it, but super good inspiration to keep going now through the winter/no crusin times.

The list to finish includes: ladder bars, rear seat between the new tubs, figure out and finish rear fenderwell openings, interior panels, quarter rear window glass, Coker front radials, and the list goes on,, and the list goes on......

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Nothing better than reaching the point where you're driving it, and then gradually making the last of the changes!
Yeah Val, that about sums it up right now,, I really looking forward to whats ahead!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Absolutely love it Tom. And that’s coming from a Chevy Olds guy. :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 · (Edited)
Mark Lueck did most of the artwork, he is such a great guy and he absolutely LOVES Gassers!
I contacted him thinking I would just hire him to do some "stuff" and I found a new friend, he is also now painting up a helmet to match my 56 VIC, he got the helmet straight from the Mongoose himself, Tom McEwen. Tom McEwen told Mark to make sure the helmet would go to someone that would appreciate it,, well , I turned out to be that lucky guy! And man! talk about appreciation!!

In case you do not know about Marks work, I snapped a pic of the cover of the catalog he puts out, his history includes the artwork for Don Purdome "The Snake" and he has painted helmets for many of the drag racing greats like Don Garlits and Shirley Muldowney.

Smile Automotive design Artist Art Painter

Here he is "Creating " in his shop, working on the "Tuff-N-Up" poster for my 56.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

All original stuff in this catalog.

Below, here we are at a local car show,,,,His son is sitting behind the wheel, thats Carter. Of course I'm the guy that has PERMA-GRIN whenever I get to enjoy any kind of Gassers or Race Cars!!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Thanks Lash

Were there some nice cars; yes, there were. Did any of them come close to being a real hot rod like Toms; no, at least not in my opinion. His 56 has it hands down on every other car in the video. Nice job Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 · (Edited)
Thanks you guys for the nice comments:) ,,,, and also the tech support (Steve n Lash) ,,,I truly need all the computer tech support I can get.

Mario, mmhotrod, I like Fords with Chevy power and Chevys with 9 inch Fords,,,and, well there's not much I don't like when it comes to hot rods LOL, .. well, never saw a Renault hot rod I liked,,,,LOL.

Steve, Sbauman2, the link worked for me, I just tried it again,,,, BUT,,, but I am definitely not the computer techy guy for sure,,,do you think maybe I should edit it and/or remove it? LMKnow,, and which link did not work? I posted 2 of them, each in different posts. LMK plz

Lash, Road Angels, I had not seen that video yet! Thanks for the assist and saving me on my link/techy malfunction thingy, yours was much better than the lame one I got from a friend at the curb when it was dark,,,. In the one you posted I found my car in 2 places at 6:06 and again at 8:52.

Vall, 1946Austin, Yes that is the same cruise you and I and also Craig had dinner ,,,,Craig, you guys remember? from our forum,,the guy with the great Mopar from Temecula,, and where has he been anyway??? anyone know? I will call him....

It got crowded that night (the link that lash posted) , late in the summer people seem to get more involved. It was great to get my car out for a few weeks this year before Crusin Grand weekends were over!!! Sorry again for holding out on you guys on the videos and posting! but if I had taken all that time,,, AGAIN CUZ I AM NOT FAST AT THIS COMPUTER STUFF,, then I would have never had the car finished for you to see in that Crusin Grand Video!,,, , better late than never,,, OK, have I groveled enough??? HaHa

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
but the link takes you to a Google g-mail sign in???
Hey Steve, Now that link on post #331 does not work, I am going to insert something that does, or make it work through my youtube account, thanks!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
428 flex plate reference

Tom,
I wish you would have posted something about your vibration in one of your posts; I could have told you exactly what it was. After I built my 428 I had the same problem and chased it for years. I was even cracking welds on my headers. I finally came across a Ford forum post about just that problem where the writer furnished the info. When I built my 428 I just used the flex plate from my original 390. After reading the article I purchased the right flexplate and also a new Hughes 2800-3000 stall converter. Those parts sat in my garage for a couple years. When I finally got around to the swap it was the day my cam went flat and then the car sat another couple years. On my 53 thread it was post 25 where I mention the flex plate. You're not that far away if you want/need help with the swap. I did mine by myself and it's a pain in the ass to do alone. But you're talking fly wheel, not flexplate and a stick is definitely easier than an auto but the offer still stands.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Hey Steve, On the vibration, it just recently showed up and I got on it mentally right away with phone calls and connections with several of my local friends and contacts. I was concerned I was damaging stuff, we figured it out pretty fast. The strangest thing is how the vibration did not show up until after I fixed the partial miss in what I believe was about 3 cylinders. It did not seem to be there at all until it was running on all 8 real strong, then it was clearly just a vibration. The only thing I can figure is somehow I got lucky and the lack of firing in those cylinder was offsetting the imbalance?? who knows!??

My question for you now is, what kind of damage did you incur while you had the problem? Or what problem might have occurred that is hidden and will rear its ugly head someday, is the crank compromised? Or I was thinking about maybe I created some bearing damage in the time I have been driving it with this out of balance problem. Although I do have really good oil pressure and I have never gotten on it very hard, the hardest so far was like you probably saw in that video where I was "Crusin Grand".

You said you chased it for years?, what happened did you damage anything internally? or have you had it apart since then?
Thanks for the offer!! I haven't decided on where I am fixing it yet. Don't know if my neck is going to allow me to R&R trannys anymore, like in the good old days, when I was using my belly as a trans jack haha!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 · (Edited)
321 - 340 of 362 Posts