Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Gassers, I'm new to the site. I'm on the fence about what to do with my 81 El Camino. I want to make a gasser out of it, blown big block the whole 9 yards. Have anyone done one of these g-bodies before? I could use some help. I was looking online and found Pete and Jake's gasser kit. Does anyone know about their products, are they good? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Never done a G body, but have seen a Malibu that was done gasser style from that body style and it looked pretty nice. Pete and Jakes stuff is usually very good quality. I haven't seen their "gasser kit", so not sure what is in it? If it's an axle kit, then there are numerous places selling axle kits, and lots of variety in pricing.
The most reasonable, and often easiest swap is to use a donor axle from trucks, vans, 2wd Jeep, etc. I've used mostly 50's Chevy truck axles, but also a few Chevy or Ford van front axles.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Welcome to Gasser Hot Rods.
I would think it would be the same as doing a chassis car. Your could either do a front clip with 2x4 tubing, or clean all your suspension components out of the way and and start figuring where to hang your spring perches.
Start a builder thread and post up some pictures so we can all watch and help as you go along. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply any help is appreciated. I haven't got a price on the Pete & Jake's kit yet. I probably wont be cheap because it comes with the axel, springs, disc brakes, 525 gear box, tie-rod kit with ends, drag link kit with ends, super bell spindles, shock kit with brckets and hardware. They won't be open until Monday so I'll get a price on it then. If it's too much I'll go your route and start piecing stuff together. Thanks again for your help and I'll keep you posted. Oh, yeah sweet 46'!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your help as well. Pro street..I've back halved 2 chevy's in my garage so far. One of them being an 81 El Camino like the one I'l doing now. But that one is long gone, this one is definately getting a straight front axle and maybe some 18.50's out back! When I get the suspension torn out of the way I'll post some pics.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
There may be some pieces in the P&J kit that you don't need to do the axle install. Plus the Chevy or Ford van axles will have almost everything you need on them, and easily converted to disc brakes if you have some mechanical aptitude. I'm a bit of a tightwad, but also enjoy fabricating, so I'd rather build up what I need than pay a company to put the pieces together for me.
My Econoline axle was $120, and the one we just purchased for my buddy's Nova was only $65. complete. A guy can spend a lot of money on disc brakes, but we spent a bit over $100 to convert his to disc with GM calipers, Aerostar rotors, and a pair of Speedway caliper brackets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts