Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Usually on a Saturday and ( or ) Sunday, I like to spend some time messing around up at the shop. I know I'm there all week, but weekends I tinker on stuff that I think of or have seen, as I'm building customer cars.
Anyway, I wanted to experiment with some trim pieces. So I started with some stainless, and drew a pattern.

Then I cut a notch where the two lines come together, or they would cause a problem.

Now the other problem your faced with when you start to bring your edge up to 90 in the curved area of the part, it will start to distort the face, or flat. It dose this because the line that's tipped up is still as long which ends up to be more material then you need. So this area needs to be shrunk, or gathered. Here's what it looks like after tipped.

Ok, now I did get it fairly close but this part went to poo poo so I started over and made another, but with my edge that I was tipping 1/4 inch instead of 3/8. This makes the edge affect the front a bit less, and I also pre-shrunk the upper curved edge.

The bottom die for this particular exercise is a soft skateboard wheel. This helps aid in not leaving marks but ya have to take care on not push to much edge all at once.

Now what happens is the upper will plunge into the lower die with very little pressure.

So as you've seen before I start the part with mild pressure, ( just enough to just draw the line in the material ) and make a pass while lightly pulling up on the part at about 30 degrees. And then the second pass I pull up the part close to the upper die at maybe 50 degrees, and so on till I reach a full 90.

Once I did that, I placed the part on my anvil, with a rag and with the edge facing up, and with a wooden mallet I rolled the edge over threw the entire length of the part.

Now this picture is obviously after I had finished the part because I was on a roll and didn't stop to take step by step.

After tapping the edge down with my wooden mallet, as careful as I was, it left minor imperfections in the inside edge, like little rolls so I used the English wheel to straighten that out. Now the reveal line you see going down threw the center of the trim, was done with the tipping wheel.

I put the part in between the upper and lower and slowly lowered the upper wheel to just touch the edge. Then I gave it a tiny bit of pressure.

Here you can also see where I pre-shrunk the corner.

Ok so here's after I wheel lightly over the trims edge.

And here's the end result of the trim.

Well I had fun :) :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's some awesome work, Steve.That took patients and experience...... And now I understand why the trim on modern cars is plastic! :D :D :D

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Nice Steve. We had fun too, watching that is. Great job.
Mario

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
How "sweet" it is Steve.

Really appreciate the postings you do and how you are always there for us "novices" who "wanna do" fab work but are not experienced enough to "try".

I have found the pictures of the "55 build" you are doing VERY helpful & inspiring.

Especially the fab work you did on the frame & how the body mounts. NOT just strong BUT ALSO looking good custom - one off.

Being stuck in the family room...... log stove on trying to get through the colder than usual PA. Winter weather I anxious to get back into the workshop again.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
I really enjoy seeing these little tips and tricks you do Steve! They really get me thinking, and then I come back to reality, and realize I'll never have that kind of talent! ;)

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really enjoy seeing these little tips and tricks you do Steve! They really get me thinking, and then I come back to reality, and realize I'll never have that kind of talent! ;)
Spoken from a guy who just built two gassers ! ! ! :D :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Always enjoy your postings Steve. Like you said. If not able to do the exact same thing it may pop a thought on a different tactic. Keep them coming.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts