Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 15x5 aluminum slots for the front of my 55. I'm running a 28.5" tall tire on the back. I'm looking for a bias ply style front tire that will fit those rims. How tall should my tire be for the front. Ive seen everything from 25" tall to 28" tall. It has A arm suspension if that matters. Thanks James

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have 15x5 aluminum slots for the front of my 55. I'm running a 28.5" tall tire on the back. I'm looking for a bias ply style front tire that will fit those rims. How tall should my tire be for the front. Ive seen everything from 25" tall to 28" tall. It has A arm suspension if that matters. Thanks James
James, I don't think there is any set size for any car being built as a gasser style. I would think that the tire size you want would be what looks best to you as long as the tire fills the wheel well and is safe. Taller tires up front are ok for rollout on drag racing applications. I use 26 inch Mickey thompson sportsman 8ply tires on my coupe. Im sure other members will give good advice as well. I would also google pics of 55's to get a look at how you want yours to look and try to go from there.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
The 5" wide rim is going to eliminate some of the tall narrow tires. I run 165-80-15 tires on the front of both of my gassers, but I have 3.5" Ansen on my Austin, and 4" Americans on my Falcon. The 165-80-15 is about 25" tall, but if installed on a 5" wide wheel, the height will be shorter. The other problem you might run into is your choice of a bias ply style tire. They can be found, but are extremely expensive as compared to most radial designs.
I'd go to my local tire store and talk with them about various tire sizes, and heights. My tire store was very easy to work with, and had all sorts of resources for me to look at, and figure out what was available. Right now the 165-80-15 are out of stock everywhere! When I put new front tires on the Austin they said they couldn't find that size presently. Distributors said they only run them a couple times a year. I found a friend who had a nearly new pair, and bought them from him.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have 4" wide Pro-Trac Front runners from Coker on mine. About 26" tall. I think they look great. I plan to replace the rear L60-15s with 10" by 31" tall cheater slicks. Yes the were expensive and my tire guy really had to fight to get them on the rim. I just hope that they're not to flat spotted by the time I get the car on the road.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts