Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi Frisco. Kinda depends on the weight of the car, what era of gasser you are building. Your personal taste too. I have M/T Sportsmans on the front of mine. But I like the looks of the MH Racemaster frontrunners too. Or if you want to use radials, well, you could almost pick anything. Lotta help, sorry. I tend to like the bias ply tires. I know that some don't like them and prefer radials. Again, pick what you enjoy.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I run radials on the front of both of my cars, but mainly because I drive them a lot on the street, and most "strip" front runner type tires are very thin tread and sidewalls. I prefer something that will hold up to a lot of highway miles, and last a long time. They're not period correct, but work excellent with my radial Hurst slicks, and my M&H drag radials in the rear.
My Austin has 15x3.5" slots, with 165-80-15 and my Falcon has 14" ET spokes, so I run 185-75-14 radials on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got Hoosier Drag Radials on the back of my 50 Chevy and road use is more important than period correct look. Hey Vall, off subject a little but there's a rumor flying around that Hurst Tire is going away. Hope it's not true, they've got great looking products!

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
I've got Hoosier Drag Radials on the back of my 50 Chevy and road use is more important than period correct look. Hey Vall, off subject a little but there's a rumor flying around that Hurst Tire is going away. Hope it's not true, they've got great looking products!
Yes, for now Hurst Tire is gone. Steve and Cody lost their lease, and have not found a new building. Cody has gone to work at a local rod shop, and Steve still wants to bring the company back, but has no building yet. I sincerely hope they do come back, as they made a good looking tire! I especially love their front runner tires! Not cheap, as they are made on new Hankook casings, and then recapped to look like old bias, but they were perfect looking!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Firestone F-560
I run these on the front of mine,but I'm currently running a 135-15,going to jump up to a 155 or 165 to fill the wheel opening a bit better,and feel a little more stable at 105mph through the traps.

These ones are for sale if anyone needs a pair with approximately 20 miles on them.:)

Ps:Only the Firestones are for sale,not the Torq-Thrusts.

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Vall,
I hope Steve can find a new building soon,as they made some really cool looking tires.I know it had become "fashionable" for every sheep on the Internet to bash them lately,and as usual,once somebody has a bad comment about a shop or business,it spreads like wild fire on the forums,whether justified or not.

I know they put a lot of blood and sweat into that business,and I would really hate to see them drop out of the scene.

Scott

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Vall,
I hope Steve can find a new building soon,as they made some really cool looking tires.I know it had become "fashionable" for every sheep on the Internet to bash them lately,and as usual,once somebody has a bad comment about a shop or business,it spreads like wild fire on the forums,whether justified or not.

I know they put a lot of blood and sweat into that business,and I would really hate to see them drop out of the scene.

Scott
Yeah, the internet is a great tool, but I see it misused so often for the purpose of destroying a business. It's always possible for someone to have a problem with anything man made, but Hurst has always been a great product, and stuck behind what they built. Most the bashing I've seen started out with someone telling their side of the story the way they wanted everyone to hear it. We never did get the real history behind the few complaints, and (in true internet fashion) most of the comments after the fact were by people who had never owned a pair of Hurst tires.
I have their 10-30-15 pie crusts on my Falcon, and they are a great tire for looks and wear. When my local shop mounted them they were in perfect balance, and took no weights at all! My only complaint is they are a pretty hard compound, and that helps them wear well, but don't hook up well. I'll use my Goodyear Eagles if I want serious drag race traction at the strip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts