Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 2 15x4 torque thrust D wheels for the front of my 40 chev gasser. What front tires are you all running? I want radials, I can get the 165/80/15 tires, but I'd like a 28 or so tall tire. Going to look and compare some sizes but thought I'd ask first.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Im gonna say that if you use radials out back then fine, go radial in the front. I wouldn't mix front radials with back pie crust slicks if you can help it. On my coupe I used the mickey 8ply sportsman cause I have pie crusts out back.
My MG has radials all around and all 14" so I can't help you on that one.
just my opinion. I hope you find what you need.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Towel city are on radial casings. I don't care for bias ply on the street, they seem to want to roll under. I guess the 8 plys wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have P205/75R-15 tires mounted on my 15 X 4 1/2 Torque Thrust D rims; they're 26 1/2" tall. I'm running the 10" Towel City Racing cheaters and never had a problem with the radial in front and bias in back. A gasser isn't exactly set up to be running a road course so I never gave much thought to mixing. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you run across some 185-80-15s from a company called Vriedestein, don't even consider them. Nice and tall, not bad looking, but I got a bad one and the seller would not even reply to my e-mail.
Back when radials were a new thing in the USA, I recall the tire makers recommending that if you had to run radials mixed with bias plys, the radials should be run on the front.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think radials on the front will make a bit of difference, I;ve seen and heard more complaints with bias ply on the front of a gasser. The towel city cheater slicks are on radial casings. I'd just like to find something a little taller and wider but yet still have the look. A friend is getting some 195/65/15 on his, he's going to bring 1 out after it's mounted so I can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy....new here so first post, from my experience when radial tires came about, the tire makers said don't run a radial and bias on the same axle. I think you could run radial on the front and bias on the rear with minmal problem as was said above.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Look into some European tire suppliers. There are speed rated skinny tires for Porsches. Not cheap, but a little safer and more stable. My tires are a little short for your needs and are not the strongest in the sidewall department. I have 165R15's on both my skinny-tired cars. One set is Korean and one is Taiwanese. Both handle like poop, but I think that is to be expected. Hahaha! I wouldn't be afraid of a slightly fatter tire on the '40. It'll look good and handle better. There's a '40 drag car at the local track and his fronts are slightly larger. Looks good!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
There are lots of different radials, and some have extremely thin sidewalls that flex easily, while others are very thick and have little flex. Most cheater slick pie crust radials have very thick sidewalls, so flex very little, and act more like a polyester tire than they do like a radial.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i run 205/70/15's on my 15x4 ansens. looks perfect. and has
a decent load rating, the 165's/etc are usually bug tires and
arent meant for full size cars/cast iron V8 weight...

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts