Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at 155/15 and 165/15 radial front tires. Not very many to choose from. I have a love/hate relationship with BF Goodrich T/A tires, but may go with them. Anyone use Nankang CX668 tires? Coker has a few choices, but some are very pricey and others are not in stock. What's everyone running in these sizes?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went ahead and bought the Nankang 165/80/15 tires ($141/pr shipped) so we'll see what they look like. Now to decide on the wheels......

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Where did you find these tires? I will be running 4" Cragar S/S wheels and would like to get tires before I start building the chassis and suspension. Also, what about running radials with bias plys on the rear? I've heard pros and cons.

Thanks........Robert

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought on that "big online auction site" from "buywheelstoday" UPS is delivering them today, so I'll report on how they look. I still haven't decided on which wheels to use.
As far as mixing radials with bias ply, I wouldn't worry much about that because with the gross mis-match in tire sizes, handling is a crap shoot anyway.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Where did you find these tires? I will be running 4" Cragar S/S wheels and would like to get tires before I start building the chassis and suspension. Also, what about running radials with bias plys on the rear? I've heard pros and cons.

Thanks........Robert
Hey Robert, I'm running bias and radials mixed on my Austin and my '71 Camaro. Both MT's on the back, and radials up front. I've had the combination on my '71 Camaro for probably 30 years. I remember them telling me it was unadvisable back then, and every time I get new rubber, but it works for me.

I looked at M&H's front runners when I got tires for the front of my Austin, but they're pretty spendy at around $165 ea. I can buy two of what I have for that price at my local tire shop mounted and balanced for that price.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks guys. Thats kind of what I figuared. I'll be running M/T 33-18.50's on the rear. That's great. I'll get me some tires on the way and be ready to start cutting and welding soon. Thanks again........Robert

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Thanks guys. Thats kind of what I figuared. I'll be running M/T 33-18.50's on the rear. That's great. I'll get me some tires on the way and be ready to start cutting and welding soon. Thanks again........Robert
Man those big rears will almost touch each other under the little Morris! :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yea...Val. I initially planned to build what I guess would be a Pro Mod. I have a narrowed Dana 60 (41" hub/hub) with Summers Brothers 35 spline shafts and a 4.10 gear. I thought, I need to swing that Dana with a four-link and coil-overs. I also thought well...it would ride and handle better with a Mustang II front-end. So....I purchased that stuff. All the while telling myself I'm going to get all the parts, pieces and plain together before I start so I don't find myself changing in mid-stream. Guess what? Yep! Just like someone hit me with a 2x4. I new that was not what I wanted, what probably will be, my last build to be. I truely loved that little Anglia Gasser. And I know that is the direction I need to go with the Morris. I am now looking another front axle set-up and a Vega box. I picked up some rear leafs, pads and u-bolts the other day from my buddy at the salvage yard. Sorry.......Recycle Facility. I may change my mind on the Dana too. But you know, I've been told all my life, "a wise man's mind changes offen but a d--- fool's mind never changes." So.......I've been looking at the incredible works displayed here-in and my picture of the little Anglia and have decided the rear track probably needs to be wider. And so maybe they want be quite so close after all. Have a great week-end! Robert

·
Registered
374 Posts
You can mix bias and radials, but they have to be at opposing ends of the vehicle (just as Val does).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Nankangs look pretty good. Not a real aggressive tread pattern, but that's what I was after. Date codes are 12th week of 2011, so I guess that's not too old for Ebay tires.

·
Administrator
13,309 Posts
Yea...Val. I initially planned to build what I guess would be a Pro Mod. I have a narrowed Dana 60 (41" hub/hub) with Summers Brothers 35 spline shafts and a 4.10 gear. I thought, I need to swing that Dana with a four-link and coil-overs. I also thought well...it would ride and handle better with a Mustang II front-end. So....I purchased that stuff. All the while telling myself I'm going to get all the parts, pieces and plain together before I start so I don't find myself changing in mid-stream. Guess what? Yep! Just like someone hit me with a 2x4. I new that was not what I wanted, what probably will be, my last build to be. I truely loved that little Anglia Gasser. And I know that is the direction I need to go with the Morris. I am now looking another front axle set-up and a Vega box. I picked up some rear leafs, pads and u-bolts the other day from my buddy at the salvage yard. Sorry.......Recycle Facility. I may change my mind on the Dana too. But you know, I've been told all my life, "a wise man's mind changes offen but a d--- fool's mind never changes." So.......I've been looking at the incredible works displayed here-in and my picture of the little Anglia and have decided the rear track probably needs to be wider. And so maybe they want be quite so close after all. Have a great week-end! Robert
I bought a few parts for my Austin that I thought I'd use, and are still gathering dust here. I had a friend who used a Mazda/Courier steering box in his '48 Anglia, so I headed to the junkyard and bought one from an 80's Courier. Didn't work for mine, so it's sitting. Same thing for the rear suspension. I had the axle under it with leaf springs, but it either sat too high below the springs, or too low above the springs. Bought the Comp Engineering ladder bars, and the springs, perches and U bolts are still sitting.
I also cut, modify, or add things as I go along. I find myself looking at things again and again, until it bugs me and I have to change things. Never regretted changing things, but I have wondered why I did it the original way once I decide to make a change!
I still think a plan and checklist is great, but sometimes I vary when it just wont work as planned, or looks better another route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts