Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, as we all know now I have a alfa im turning into a gasser. and ive just ran into a problem. I cant run leafsprings in the front parallel to the subframe I would be putting under the car.. do I use a coil setup like a 2wd Cherokee with a 4 link panhard setup, or do I run a leafspring parallel to a speedway axle?

the Cherokee axle would be much easier but would deter from the gasser look via the coil springs.

what other ideas do you guys have in mind for a short nose gasser? remember, I want the front of the car 5-7 inches higher than the rear.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Transverse leaf spring with hairpin radius rods is my vote. A "Classic" gasser would be leaf sprung and straight axle. Although the rules did not require it, most did due to the weight savings over independent style suspensions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will put that on the list. thanks Lon

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Better to build your own sub frame out of 2x3 stock...than to adapt some thing that will give you head aches when it comes engine placement time....draw it out ...think it out.... turn it out....and have fun.....well not every sentence can rhime

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
A buddy of mine had a 53 Chevy that had a tube dropped axle, coil springs and hair pin radius rods and absolutely no problems.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing why the Alpha wont allow parallel leaf springs? Especially if you're building your own stubs to mount engine and front suspension. Can't imagine it's any narrower or shorter than my Austin's wheelbase, and I am running leaf springs. My front axle is only about 37" kingpin to kingpin, and I had to have my front main leaf made up a special short length to keep it inside the front fenders.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. sounds good. just down to where im going to mount the steering box. and with the hairpin radius rods and coils did he have a panhard bar?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
A panhard bar is not required on a transverse spring setup.
I'm not sure how you can mount the steering box before you get an axle mounted and located? Steering box pitman arm needs to be located based on axle and tierod location. Don't want it running too downhill, nor do you want it not running parallel to the tierod.
And I'd want to also be sure none of the components of the suspension will interfere with the oil pan! Best to set it up with engine tacked in place, and then do the steering box and drag link after all that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was asking about a coil setup with the hairpin radius arms, if it had a panhard. a transverse doesn't need it no. I was concerned about parallel leafs because the nose is short. really short. the front of the leafs would have to maybe stick out 2 inches past the bottom nose of the car. if I could mount the steering box before the axle on the frame I could possibly run a tie rod like a older hot rod.. down the side of the frame to the steering knuckle and a tie rod between the two knuckles.

im going to get the motor in before I do any front suspension work, as I want to be sure of steering component placement and header placement.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Hope he has a pan hard on it...would not be good not too. I also have seen a coil over set up on a fifty's ford...looked cool...I see what you are saying about the spring length after looking on line at the car your are talking about......you could go as short as 28" springs...Nova ones are 32....thats what I plane on using....with the weight you are planning on and every thing considered you may want to have some made...I went to a trailer shop and look at some but decide the quality just was not there

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hi Anthony,
Yes, there was a pan hard bar and it was also set up with cross steering. I suggested the coil spring set up because of your limited space and also as Lash pointed out they just look cool. After I dicked around with the twin I beam suspension on my 69 Ford half ton with a lift kit and realized what a disaster it was I went with a coil spring front end and and straight tube front axle. It looks bitchin and handles well.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Yes, with coilover shocks you'll need a panhard bar to locate the axle. But leaf springs come in many different lengths, and also with center pin offsets, so front length can be shorter than rear length. I doubt your Alpha is a shorter nose than my little Austin. My whole car is only 144" long, and 89" wheelbase, so not much is shorter. My main leaf is only 26" total length, so 13" forward and back of axle centerline. But even Speedway, and trailer springs are usually around 29"-30" long, so 15" forward of axle centerline. Mario has parallel leaf springs on his MG, and it's likely shorter from wheel center than your Alpha.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I might go with the coils and a Cherokee lift kit for the longer links and the Cherokee axle. I can use 5x4.5 lug pattern all year round.

question lash.. did you put 4 inch lift knuckles on your ranger? cause I did that to mine. sits just the one in your picture

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, with coilover shocks you'll need a panhard bar to locate the axle. But leaf springs come in many different lengths, and also with center pin offsets, so front length can be shorter than rear length. I doubt your Alpha is a shorter nose than my little Austin. My whole car is only 144" long, and 89" wheelbase, so not much is shorter. My main leaf is only 26" total length, so 13" forward and back of axle centerline. But even Speedway, and trailer springs are usually around 29"-30" long, so 15" forward of axle centerline. Mario has parallel leaf springs on his MG, and it's likely shorter from wheel center than your Alpha.

the front wheels will be moved and inch or two forward and might be just in line in the front with the chrome bumper. the front fenderwhells just roll down in one line to the front lip. its that short.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
How far forward your tire can move depends on how high the body is. It needs to clear the wheelwell opening, so it's limited by that. Your car has more in front than my Austin, so it's not an issue with the right parallel springs. You'll like the handling a lot better with parallel leafs, but it's your car to choose on. Just wanted to save you some headaches, and costs.
A Cherokee front axle will likely be way too wide for your Alpha, unless the tube is cut and narrowed. I have a friend who used one on his car, but cut off all the brackets and welded perches on it to mount it with typical parallel leaf springs. The biggest issue with a Cherokee front axle is the very large knuckles for the spindles. Not as clean and compact looking as all the older axles, or newer aftermarket axles.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I think I might go with the coils and a Cherokee lift kit for the longer links and the Cherokee axle. I can use 5x4.5 lug pattern all year round.

question lash.. did you put 4 inch lift knuckles on your ranger? cause I did that to mine. sits just the one in your picture
No the front suspension is stock....I will let you ponder it a while...........lol

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Coil Springs & Tube Axle

Anthony,
Check your 'Notifications' box, I sent you a PM.
Here are some photos of the axle and pan hard bar on my 69 Ford 1/2 ton. Been on there for 25+ years, no power steering and goes down the road straight as an arrow.
Yes, I know, I have leaking valve cover gaskets and a leaking balancer seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Thanks for the laugh..................like an old Harley it leaks....thats how you know you still got oil....people always knew if I had been at the local bar by the oil spots from my old BSA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha. people know if im in town if they can hear my ranger or not. nice ford steve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts