Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mus II front susp I was thinking of installing in my 40 chev coupe. It's the type that has the strut bars on the lower control arms that mount to the rear. The bars will be in the way, plus I just don't care for it. This has a 56 1/2 track width. I've got a build thread, so you can see I have 18.50, 31, 15's with a 4 link in the rear, so this won't be a road race car by any means, so I was thinking of a dropped straight axle. It will have manual steering so I could use a GM manual box. It won't have a nose high stance so I would think this is the answer, plenty of room for headers and all that. I have the new 11in rotors, calipers off the front end if I can find 1 that can use them. Any suggestions or advice here that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Look into to a late crown vic or Marquis front bolt in sub frame... they are alloy.... rack and pinion, better than the mustang and cheap ...can be had as stock, sport...or cop car...heavy duty and are fairly abundant and cheap

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
If the MII has clearance issues, the Crown Vic will likely also have clearance issues. Plus the track width is much wider than you need. A 56.5" track width will eliminate a lot of the inexpensive donor axles, as most are in the 58"-61" track with. A 50" kingpin width axle will end up at 58" with spindles and brakes added. You'd need to find a donor axle with a 48.5" max. kingpin measurement.
You could find an old truck or van I beam axle and narrow it to fit your chassis and the measurement you want. I've seen it done often, and if done with a proper Z cut and weld, they are as strong as original.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May go with tubular control arms, get the lowers that don't use a strut bar. That is the cheapest route. this front end has 11 in drilled rotors and all done on it, everthing is new. The Crown Vics are really wide, looked into that on another build.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Yup your right vall... I was looking at the height spec 58" and not in the track spec column 63.4 marquis and 57.6 for a 40 coupe...marquis doesnt have the strut bars hard to hide 6 inchs extra under the fenders..... 40 to 41 3/4 and 1 ton ford trucks are 48" k to k also dodge 1937 to about early 40"s have a 49" k to k...but you would have to make up your own caliper brackets figure out the spindles on and on ..plus finding one not likely...go to speedway parts and see what axle/spindle adapters are available for your brake set up and do as vall says and make one up from an I beam axle... was never that hot on the mustang front suspensions...but thats me.... I would update the old original stuff on my cars...and they usually came out pretty good....will the mustang front give you the drop you want with out spending money for other parts??

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
The disc brakes are usually the least of my worries, as most old axles are easy to swap to disc brakes, and using Speedway brackets (with some modification) and GM 70's calipers, makes it simple. I can usually make up a disc brake conversion for under $150 on most cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts