Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Front springs

4K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
OK, I've got my axle, 57 chev truck, and it looks like the front springs are 44in. I know a longer the spring the better the ride but how long is to long? This is going in my 51 Dodge, so it's not a real small car, 115 WB. I got to get some U bolts and bolt the springs on the axle and mock it up. I see a lot of 32 or so length springs.

#2 ·
Yes, most use shorter 29"-32" springs, but longer will be a softer ride usually. The key to how long is too long, is the axle centerline. Figure out where the centerline is now, and measure forward and back from the center pin on the '57 truck springs. I don't remember if the '55-'59 springs have a centered pin, or if one end is longer? If it's 22" to each eye, then you need to measure 22" in each direction, and see if there's enough frame in front, and no interference to the rear.
I have 29" springs on my Austin, and they barely fit inside the sheet metal. The Falcon has 31" springs, and I could have gone a little longer. When I put the straight axle under my buddy's Nova, I used the stock Econoline springs, but they have offset centers, so we reversed the springs to just get them to fit under the car, and behind the front bumper.

#6 ·
Found a set on ebay with the correct u bolts and new bushings. They are out of a 54 chev truck. He said they measure 18 1/2 from spring eye to center, and 19 on the other end. It's hard to measure, but with what I come up with, it'll put the front hanger almost at the front of the frame. Or right behind the splash pan below the grille. Don't a lot of the front spring hangers end up really close to the front frame rail?

#7 ·
Yes, they surely do, unless you go with the short springs. Are the '54 truck springs new, or 1954 vintage? If they're old, you should disassemble them and check them closely for cracks. They're over 60 years old, and can work harden, or crack over that time span.

#8 ·
They are used, but he has a lot of pics and they look real good. The U bolts even look real nice which makes me think they've been replaced. I plumbed bobed down from where my rear end will be and measured the 115 WB. I then measured forward 18 1/2 in and it looks like they'll work. If any doubt, I'll go with Speedway's 31 in springs. I'd like to have something a little longer for ride purposes.

#12 ·
Most spring shops carry a small variety of rubber and urethane bushings. I use urethane, as I can chuck them in my lathe and turn them down to the size that fits perfectly. I put a bolt through them, and a washer/nut on each end. Holds them easily while turning down the outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.