Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning to tear down the new project (49 Anglia) for a total rebuild, right now it has a straight axle with front springs that are 26 inches eye to eye and 4 leafs per spring. I weigh 200 pounds and a friend of the same weight sat on the front end and could not get the springs to bend any at all. I will be putting a small block with a fiberglass front end or at least fiberglass fenders. I think these springs are not the correct ones for this application. I don't have any ideal what spring rate these are. What do you think would be the right length and spring rate I will need?

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
How many leafs in the spring pack? Might be as simple as just removing leafs from the spring pack. I took several out of the stock spring pack that came with my Speedway axle kit. I also have 26" spring packs in my Austin gasser. I'd bet you could get by easily with the main leaf, and the next one below it. Just replace the center pin with a shorter allen bolt, and either shorter U bolts, or a spacer to take up the space from removed leafs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply 1946 Austin. There are 4 leafs per spring pack, I will try removing 2 of the leafs as you suggest, I can always put them back if needed. Again Thanks

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Thanks for the reply 1946 Austin. There are 4 leafs per spring pack, I will try removing 2 of the leafs as you suggest, I can always put them back if needed. Again Thanks
Yes, the only leaf that needs to stay the same is the main leaf. You can use it with any combination of it and other leafs. Try the two longest, and if it's too soft you can add another short leaf. If it's still too stiff, you can remove a longer leaf, and replace it with a shorter leaf. I've played all over with different combos on mine, and it's not all that time consuming to swap them out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts