Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is 1953 Chrysler four door. So it's a big car and it's tall as a gasser being so tall I'm nervous about doing the front suspension right. Needs to drive decent. Right now springs and axle are mocked in motor set in. I used Toyota lift leafs springs in the front. Very cheap new. Needing help mainly on my front shackles and boxing the rear spring mount. And ideas on what my axle degree will need to be in the end. Thanks for all the help!!

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
On kingpin angle, I try to shoot for 7 degrees, and no less than 5 degrees. I've gone as high as 10 degrees on a short wheelbase car, so it wants to go straight better. But 10 degrees will fight the steering a bit when making tight, slow turns.

On shackle angle, I try for about 10-20 degrees, so they wont flatten out under a hard suspension compression. I usually set my axle up with shackles straight up without engine weight. They usually come to the angle I want once the weight of the engine is added.
These were mine before setting engine/trans, and front sheet metal on. Just straight up.:

In this picture you can see how little they changed with the weight of the BBC, 4 speed, and sheet metal on. About 10-15 degrees.:

Unsure of the spring rate on your Toyota springs, and how much they flatten will determine final angle. But if you have engine, trans, etc. already in, then you can just hit the mounts with a few tack welds, and put the weight on it to see where they settle to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts