Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have almost everything figured out for my straight axle setup on the other Cobra...except for one thing. I found the perfect trailer springs for about $40 each shipped, but I have no idea what rate to get. They're all rated by trailer axle weight & I'm not sure how that corresponds with a gasser application. I doubt there will be 1200# on the front wheels...do I get 1500# springs or will they sag be too stiff or what what what? Any feedback is highly appreciated, I have a PayPal account begging to be drained!

-Greg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I'd go with the 1500 lbs springs. I started off with lighter front leaf springs and then needed to add a leaf after a couple of races. The springs will lose some of their arch. Your car looks super light so the 1200 lbs ones might work just fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, I was leaning towards those and I'm going to try them out.

It's funny-right before I read your answer I was looking at a picture on Facebook of your very car! What a beautiful ride!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. If the heavier springs don't work right you can always take them to a spring shop. Most big rig suspension shops can re-arch or remove some part of a leaf to make it work for you. I had a shop add one leaf to get mine to work.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I used 1750 lb. springs in the front of my Falcon with a BBC engine, and it was too stiff. I had to remove a leaf, and it's still plenty stiff. I think the 1500 lb. springs will work, but might still need to remove a leaf if they prove too stiff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I have almost everything figured out for my straight axle setup on the other Cobra...except for one thing. I found the perfect trailer springs for about $40 each shipped, but I have no idea what rate to get. They're all rated by trailer axle weight & I'm not sure how that corresponds with a gasser application. I doubt there will be 1200# on the front wheels...do I get 1500# springs or will they sag be too stiff or what what what? Any feedback is highly appreciated, I have a PayPal account begging to be drained!

-Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts