Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got to thinking, and so I thought I would ask ,,, AND since there is so much history/ knowledge in this group....

What started the idea of a round tube out front, for a bumper, OR?

I can surmise (fancy word - but I don't like to ass-ume) several logical reasons but I just wondered if there was a specific beginning to that trend. Was it listed somewhere you had to have a tube for a bumper, or when racing was it a place for a tow strap,,or???

I see in the photo I listed below (from our own photo gallery), I see it as a bumper/crossmember but also the bumper was cut away for the tube that goes between the frame rails.

So my surmising has always been this: The Gasser crowd, when hanging straight axles from trucks needed a place for the leaf hangers out front and then you need a cross brace,,, is it as simple as that?

I have seen several cars with chromed tubes or painted black tubes out front that were added on apparently "just because" they already had a cross brace then they just bolted on a round tube also in front of the crossmember.

I have also seen them added on to cars that had double arm suspension, but they were obviously going for the Gasser look with rounded rear fenderwell openings, nose high, etc.

Then if there WAS a rule or some standard, does anyone know the standard dimensions, outer diameter, wall thickness, type of metal, etc??

This is just an example of the curse I have, sometimes I chase ideas in my head for days/weeks/years,, does it really matter??? This time it is just for fun... and it is not an easy thing to google- If I googled it..... it would probably be wrong on Google anyway I find a lot of wrong answers on the internet.

Here on Gasser Hot Rods I know we can get to the bottom of this! :cool:

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
661 Posts
Never saw a pipe front bumper. No bumpers yes. Saw a lot of pipe rear bumpers, but they were used for ballast. You have to remember a lot of these cars are being built by guys that are WHAY young. who have never seen a real one. And also buy guys that want to make a quick buck on the youngns.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pipe? Never mentioned pipe or rear bumpers

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Tom, I think what you're seeing is the front x-member, just to tie the frame rails together. The fact that most of them are round is just because it's comparatively stronger than square tubing, less wind resistance and adds a more aesthetic appearance. That would be my uneducated Guess! :D

But I'm not aware of any requirement for a front or rear bumper......

·
Registered
661 Posts
Basicly you are looking at a pipe. Maybe frame support. But I don't think so. I don't have this on my Austin. On most gassers in the day, everything was tucked in. To keep street cars.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
The Austin you pictured belonged to a friend of mine Tom! Sold it a few years ago. That's tubing, not pipe, and it's there for a couple reasons. First and foremost as Robert called it, a tie to keep the frame rails parallel and strong. But on the Austin pictured it also served as a place to tie the mechanism for the hinges on his tilt frontend. Bert's Austin PU had a frame stub done, so stubbing a frame almost always required that front tube.
Tubes between rails started way back at least to just after WWII, when older 30's cars were stripped down for drag racing, and guys put them between the front frame rails. Some mounted their turn signals to those tubes, as once all but the radiator shell was removed they needed to mount turn signals. Some mounted their Moon tanks to the tube, and Moon even sold brackets designed to mount on a 2" tube.
I've seen numerous pictures of cars being towed back to the pits with a strap attached to the tube. Not sure if the owners planned it, or just found it handy.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My guess was covered all by Vall. Frame support, tow strap convenience, and moon tank mount all in one lump. When the regular guy hotrodded a car, he would cut the x frame to get the drive train to work out right and that would leave the front vulnerable and the tube connection up front would help keep the frame from spreading. Trans crossmember would cover the middle. Just my 25 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts