Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what they used to run in the front on the Anglia and Pops gassers back in the days.
I was thinking maybe to use the stock front axle with stiffer springs, any thoughts?

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Most guys did run the stock Anglia axles, and many with spindle mount wheels and no front brakes! I wouldn't want just rear brakes, as a friend of mine had an Anglia with just rear brakes, and it was very hard to stop! Springs can be reused also, or new springs. Many ran stock springs too. The issue starts when you want to go higher in front; then you need a higher arc on the spring.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I did hear somewhere (Vall???) that mini-gassers back in the day use to use an Opel rack & pinion.... both because of the Opel's simple (and light design) and also because it has "disc brakes".

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
You might measure the backing plate bolt pattern and check wrecking yards for what might fit. Or you can get cheap weld on brackets from Speedway Motors that use GM metric disc brake calipers. Then they can be cut and drilled to bolt on the Anglia's bolt pattern. I'm planning on going this route for the Econoline straight axle I'm using in my Falcon.
By using the Speedway $10 bracket, then an Aerostar rotor, and GM calipers, the whole swap can be done for under $100 both sides complete with all new parts on my Falcon. You will have 4 bolt wheel pattern, so may have to find something for a rotor that fits that pattern, unless there's a common rotor that will fit the Anglia's spindle. As popular as they are, I bet something is made to convert a stock axle to juice brakes.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
I did hear somewhere (Vall???) that mini-gassers back in the day use to use an Opel rack & pinion.... both because of the Opel's simple (and light design) and also because it has "disc brakes".
Not sure that anyone used the Opel's rack and pinion with a straight axle. I think they were used with A arm suspension though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 39 prefect that Im told has same axle as the anglia .you can fit nissan datsun 120Y rotors to it with just a bearing swap and a spacer on the out side seals as well can be found .I havnt finished the brake job yet and im still looking for a caliper to fit .will keep you posted if you want can give you some picks and part no,s as well .cheers jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts