Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to swap cams in the 327 in my Austin, as it's just not a good low to mid range cam. The cam I'm taking out is a hydraulic flat tappet, and specs are duration 234/234 at 050" lift, with 488/488 lift. Advertised duration is 292/292. LSA is 114.
This is a high rpm cam designed for 2800-6500 rpm power range. It's got breakin and less than 1,000 miles on it. Anyone wants it for just shipping, it's their's. Hate to just toss it in the scrap when I put the new cam in.

I'm going to put the Isky 270 cam in with 270/270 duration, 465" lift, and 108 LSA. Should have a lot more low end power for the kind of use my car needs. I'm using 1.6 ratio roller rockers, so my lift will be a bit higher than that advertised with stock 1.5 rockers.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow! That's a deal for someone, Vall. It's a little tough running a mid range wobble stick on the street these days. Wasn't so bad in the day. Stick some gear under it and let 'er wind. Need a Brinks truck to do that today. That 108 lobe seperation ought to sound awesome!

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it sounds and runs well! I'm more interested in getting some lowend off idle power that will bbe more streetable. The new cam got here yesterday, so I'm tearing it apart AGAIN next week and swapping it in. With very little mileage on the lifters I'm going to reuse them and just do the breakin again.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues with reusing those lifters. Good luck with the swap. I hope it will get you back on the street with the results you expect and last you a long time! Get us another video if possible. I'd love to hear that Isky thumpin' and probably the closest I, or many of us for that matter, will ever come to an actual ride in the Mouse Trap. Oh yea, what kind of gear drive are you running? I'm trying to decide wheather I want to run the Pete Jackson that's in the old 302 or not. I'm leaning toward "not."

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
....... The new cam got here yesterday, so I'm tearing it apart AGAIN next week and swapping it in. With very little mileage on the lifters I'm going to reuse them and just do the breakin again.
I assume you're using another ISKY cam..... with Ed's name on the dash.

I had Wally (the Opel's former owner) look a the engine I picked up in Ohio via Craig's list.

It has "Comp Cam" rockers, Girdle, etc...... Wally, who has quite a bit of engine assembly experience believes that from the way the rockers feel that it is probable that there is a "solid lifter" cam inside. Before setting the engine into the Opel we will take off timing chain cover and take a peek at what is in there. Hopefully we'll be able to see what kind of cam is in there. One would assume that it is also a "Comp Cam. Knowing what the cam "is" would be nice to know.

It won't be for awhile though. I am completely re-doing the firewall & floor area as well as beefing up & smoothing out the frame work that has been done in the front of the car (engine compartment) in preparation for doing what needs to be done to "tilt" the front end.

So looks like I'll be at it for awhile before the engine gets in there. Guess-a-mated completion "late Summer".

Even though I have only spent a few hours cutting out the old firewall and doing the "what-should-I-do-now-STARE" I feel GOOD about everything so far and excited about lies ahead.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You shouldn't have any issues with reusing those lifters. Good luck with the swap. I hope it will get you back on the street with the results you expect and last you a long time! Get us another video if possible. I'd love to hear that Isky thumpin' and probably the closest I, or many of us for that matter, will ever come to an actual ride in the Mouse Trap. Oh yea, what kind of gear drive are you running? I'm trying to decide wheather I want to run the Pete Jackson that's in the old 302 or not. I'm leaning toward "not."
Not sure what make gear drive it is. It came in a plain white box with no instructions, and no ino. A friend bought two of them at a bargain and sold me the extra one. The Pete Jackson is always high quality stuff, and should be a great one. Are you looking for noisy, or quiet? The Pro Form (not Pro Comp) gear drive is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Not sure what make gear drive it is. It came in a plain white box with no instructions, and no ino. A friend bought two of them at a bargain and sold me the extra one. The Pete Jackson is always high quality stuff, and should be a great one. Are you looking for noisy, or quiet? The Pro Form (not Pro Comp) gear drive is pretty quiet.
I'm thinking for the "wife's" sake, I may need to go quieter. I'm not sure she is even going to be able to handle the exaust noise. But then again.......I don't plan on her driving it too much! :D What's it like on a long ride and what does your wife think about it?

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one I have is obnoxiously loud. I love it, but then I wanted something that screamed gear drive, not wonder if it had one. A long trip is actually better as it makes the most noise under acceleration, so idling or cruising at a steady speed makes it quieter.
My wife thinks it's strange whenever I do something that makes the car louder, but she sees that car people like it, and understands it's a hotrod thing. This is the first car I've owned that my wife really likes, so she's pretty happy with where it's come to on this journey, and I'm just happy she finally liked a hotrod we own!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks for that input Vall. I'm glad your wife likes your new ride. That's got to add tremindously to the feelings of accomplishment.
My wife has been much more supportive of my new project than I had honestly expected which seems to have given me a boost of confidence and enthusiasm. She's never really been a hotrod lover but lately shows a lot more interest. A couple of weeks ago we were traveling to vist our daughter and new grandchild and stopped in Lumberton to grab some lunch. The owner of the restaurant told us some of the local "old timers" had started gathering in town and cruising the old strip as they use to do in the day. We rode down-town and parked for a few minutes and watched them cruise the street. The wife seemed to really enjoy that. It brought back a lot of memories, the Novas, Chevelles, Mustangs, Mopars and T-buckets. No gassers though. Man I have got to get started on the Morris!

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll make a trophy out of the old cam to take to the Billetproof car show in a few weeks! I can use the old timing gear and some other odd parts around here to donate to the show!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Did you see the ones that were in Hot Rod? Kinda makes me wonder what I can make with all the old engine and trans parts around here. Can you pinstripe? I'm planning on going to Billetproof this year as a spectator. Might be fun to cruise up as a group. I'll have a too-new car (Impy).

Mike

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you see the ones that were in Hot Rod? Kinda makes me wonder what I can make with all the old engine and trans parts around here. Can you pinstripe? I'm planning on going to Billetproof this year as a spectator. Might be fun to cruise up as a group. I'll have a too-new car (Impy).

Mike
I can't pinstripe, or do anything artistically that takes a steady hand! But I can weld enough to put something together that our group can donate as a trophy.
Are you staying around for the cruise Sat. evening? We've got 5 cars in our group, so if you want to ride with me in the downtown cruise you're welcome to! We've got 3 Austins, Jeff's '56 Chevy, and another friend's '62 Chevy. My neighbor with the light blue Austin, and myself are driving up Sat. morning early. Probably leave Portland around 6:00 a.m. or so. Show opens at 9:00 a.m.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy crap! Those cams are harder than kryptonite! Tried to cut mine with my bandsaw and it just ate up the blade and laughed at me! Looks like it's going to the scrap pile and getting recycled!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts