Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving back from doing some work in Vermont and saw this restoration shop on the highway. I stopped and asked to look around and take some pictures. I needed a break from driving all day anyway and this was perfect! They had mostly MGs inside and also an XKE on a jig with a lot of metal removed getting a massive restoration. They said they will work on anything and don't care if it's foreign or domestic. The guy I talked to owned a few baby bird falcons. We BSed for a while and he seemed like a cool guy. One guy was doing body work on an MG fender and he had done some nice work on the car. Their goal is to use as little filler as possible so the guy was taking his time making sure it was right.

I took some pictures of the stuff outside. I didn't get anything from in the shop.

1970 Mustang Convertible original 302 3spd. Nice car, needed new floors in the front but they had removed part of the floor and exposed the frame which was not rusty. It was for sale by the guy who brought it to work on and decided to have a different car built for his daughter. $6000 seems a little steep for needing floors, although it would be an awesome car for the summer.

1972 Charger 318 auto. Original owner brought the car in for restoration. He has work done over time.

Country Squire Falcon wagon with a teardrop hood.

His other Falcon

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1950 Ford Flathead V8.

Dodge Power Wagon Wrecker

Some weird Armored personnel carrier vehicle.

Triumph. A very nice car

The place is called East Coast Collision and Restoration. The guy said come back any time to check on what projects they have going on. Too bad it is a three hour drive. I sure do want that Mustang!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Get the stang! A couple hundred in panels and add carpet. :D How was the rest of the car? Seems like an OK deal if the rest of the car is decent. Looks like it would make a nice addition to your FoMoCo collection.

p.s. I used to subscribe to a Mustang & Ford mag and they had a wagon barn find, I think it was a couple years newer than that one, that had wood sides and all. The funny thing was the guy ordered it to pull a trailer and got a 428 4-gear with buckets. Woulda been one of the coolest wagons on the street. Long live the long roof.

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
Neat break in the trip! I love looking at old cars just sitting around buildings when I get in a rural town.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is super tempting. I could swing it. I just would have to figure out how to move 4 cars next year to somewhere south. I can trailer two and I guess ship two. I can save up the money for next year to move it. I am selling the Jeep I currently own as my wife's beater next year. I could use the money to pay for shipping when the time comes. Something to think about!

The car is very similar to my mach 1. I have the parts to do a 5 spd swap right now which would make the car an awesome cruiser. My T5 is out of late 80's mustang GT. It's a factory manual car which is cool and I love manuals. The current 3spd shifter is an old Mr. Gasket unit. I thought that was really neat to see an old speed part. The guy I talked to said the engine has old speed parts on it. The high back seats and interior are decent. I would touch up the exterior paint, do the pans, add carpet and then drive it if I owned it.

I might not get another chance at a decent convertible mustang project like this. I also never see verts from this body style Mustang. I saw a 69 vert back in 2003. The entire floor was rotted from front to back. It was sitting in Albany Oregon at this guy who sells a lot of mustang parts. I can't remember the name of his store. The next time I saw a 69-70 vert was last year at the gas station. Some guy was driving it because his son didn't have any interest in the car. It was rough but still cool to see him get the thing on the road after it was neglected.

The more I think about this car, the more I want it. The wife may get mad, but I'll just buy her some shoes. lol

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speaking of Falcon wagon's. My buddy who I bought my Falcon from also found this 1967 81k mile 4 door wagon. This thing is really nice. No rust, good interior and cold AC. All he had to do was charge it and it worked. I was able to take a ride in it when I was visiting and I was impressed at how nice it was. I like wagon's too. Here is a thread with pictures on his car.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/falcon-pages/499680-1967-falcon-project.html

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
........The more I think about this car, the more I want it. The wife may get mad, but I'll just buy her some shoes. lol
If that doesn't work just get a couple of purses to go with the shoes!!!!! :D

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Purses and shoes it is!

I called the shop today and talked with the owner. He said new floors and rocker panels come WITH the car. The guy selling seemed to be fairly firm on the price. The top works, the interior is there and the engine was rebuilt a year ago or so. It is a heck of a deal I think if it is not a hidden bondo bucket. I will take a thorough look at the car on Thursday when I pass through on the way to VT for a work related issue. It is a good place to take a break from driving. I will have to figure out the logistics later if I buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Well I hope that it all works out for you. Could be a winner with some work. Have you done rockers and floors before? Take your time and brace the heck out of that convertible.

Mike

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never done rockers and floors before. Ive done minor work in my mach 1 floor sheet metal. I would brace the car since there is absolutley no support with a vert. I wouln't want a U shaped car. It probably would be a good idea to have my buddy make some sub frame connectors like he made for my mach 1 and falcon. Then the potential for flexing would be reduced. I will check everything out really close when i see the car again.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went back today and really took a good look at the car.

The bad things about the car:

Rear was hit and pushed in the center
Floors in the front are rotten from the top not bottom (means leaky top not salty roads which is good).
Rockers have some rust
Rear window is toast ($100 for a new one)
Driver side window was shattered. ($280 dollars to replace, but the good thing is they make repops of it.)
Driver's side mirror is missing (cheap to replace)
Front grille damaged (cheap)
Battery tray rusted out (cheap, no rust underneath)
Bubbling paint on bottom of quarters (no previous bondo or bondo hair with chicken wire fixes)
Trunk lid is dented (They are not repoped so it's find or fix)
New rear bumper ($100)

The good:
Interior, gauges, door panels and seats are in awesome shape. It would just need cleaned up. Driver seat would need some repairs but can probably be saved and cleaned up.
The dash has a few cracks near the speaker holes which is repairable
Convertible top is in great condition, no holes or marks, it just needs cleaned and the vinyl window replaced.
Engine while needing paint but it runs fine.
Frame rails are solid with no signs of rust. It's nicer under the car than my Mach 1!
Exterior sheet metal is solid.
Trunk sheet metal is solid all the way around.
the engine bay and frame is rust free.

The owner of the restoration shop will call me back after the weekend when he has talked to the owner. I discussed actually having him do the floor work and pop out the huge dent in the back. The frame and car are not bent. I checked for buckling anywhere on the car and didn't see any. I thought about the job and decided it was probably more than I am ready for. Additionally my wife would not be very happy having a a car with a rusted floor show up. I will make a final decision to buy based on how much it will cost to buy the car and then have the floors welded in. The rest I can do myself including other body repairs and prep for paint.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
See how much you can get the previous owner to pitch in on. It is just sitting there and times are what they are. It's like buying a house if the owner will fix this and that to close the deal.

Work it!

Mike

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I doubt the owner will chip in much of anything but I will see what he says next week. He does a lot of high dollar euro sports cars and could have restored the car if he wanted and has quite a bit of money from what I hear. But, the car has just been sitting for a year getting zero attention.

It is not as much work to do a full floor pan as to piece it in. Since it is a convertible doing the floors is a little scary. New pans are about 400, although the owner had two half pans and rockers to go with the car. Those could potentially be sold to get some money back. 70 convertibles in good condition look to be going for 25-35k. I searched around the area and found a lot rustier piles going for less than this car, but they would need major sheet metal replacement.

I haven't decided to buy or not yet. I have time to think about it. I will probably wait until after I get back from Oregon to do anything.

·
Administrator
13,542 Posts
It's actually easier to do small pieces, or two pans than one complete pan. The worst problem with an entire pan is keeping everything from moving, and getting it all lined up correctly with one pan. The halves are easier, and small patches even easier yet.
I know guys who buy a complete side and cut it up to make small patch panels, just because they don't like lining up one whole side.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, then maybe the floor pans is a job I should think about tackling myself. You are dead on about lining up the entire pan. I wasn't thinking about the potential for shifting and moving. I was just thinking it would be easier to spot weld all good metal instead of patching it. There is still a lot of good metal in the floor especially a nice trans tunnel. The front where water collected under the carpet is the only place that really rusted. The back area is solid. I took a sharp object and stabbed the floors and didn't punch through anything. The passenger side front floor is even better than the driver side. The front frame is exposed on the drive side and it was solid. It looks ugly but I couldn't poke through it.

I posted a few more pictures.

Rear damage

Engine and engine bay needs paint

Dirty due to the broken window

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Part of the floor cut out.

Front plastic grille is toast. I accidentally bent it all of the way down to the bumper when I leaned on it.
Missing rear vinyl window

No bubbly rust spots on the outer rocker.

A couple bubbles but no rot and no bondo cake. The inside is still smooth and doesn't feel abnormally thick.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Passenger trunk, no light and no rust into the sides.

Driver side is the same. No light between the wheel well and quarter.

That is the last picture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts