Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share a story with everyone of finding my fathers beloved 55’ chevy 2dr hardtop.
First is a bit of background story. My father bought a 55’ chevy Belair 2dr hardtop in 1965 from his future father in law. From what my Mom and Dad seem to remember my Grandfather bought the car in about 1961 with 30,000 miles on it. My Grandfather had just moved the family back from a few years in New Zealand. We don’t know where it was purchased but my Mom is sure it was bought in Greater Vancouver area likely White Rock B.C. It was Canadian built solid black with green interior a 265 2 speed powerglide. It was used as a family car for my Moms family and shortly after they were dating in 1965 my Dad purchased it from the family. He drove it just like it was for a year or so before he added a 327 from a 65 Vette. His friend worked an engine shop. This engine had been removed under warranty due to a crack in the water jacket. The engine shop did a crack repair and went through the heads. My Dad bought it and took it home to assemble. It went with the 350 Hp L79 cam and the factory corvette 4 barrel. He ended up picking up a bellhousing and clutch along with a brand new Muncie 4 speed. He also got the car painted in a dark metallic green. I had heard many stories of when he built it, trips he took in the car ( a couple to Californian and back from greater Vancouver B.C.), as well as a bit of street racing. He ended up driving it for several years and eventually he got married and had a family. Well I was the second child and times were a bit tight. In the winter after I was born he had a friend come by and offer him a handful of cash. At the time my dad was not working and he had a two year old and a 6 month old to feed. He ended up selling it in January 1973. He had sold it to a good friend of his and although he regretted it he thought that at least it would not be wrapped around a pole with him. Within the year though his friend had traded it to his brother and his brother sold it January 74’. So now forty years later I am a gearhead and have been messing around with classic cars since my teens. My Dad and I even bought a 55’ Chevy 150 2 dr wagon a number of years ago. It was not as sweet as his 55’ 2dr hard top but it was something to rekindle his days of hotrodding. We got it up and running but our funding was tight and we never did do too much with it. I ended up buying him out a few years ago as he needed money and I have been storing it a few years waiting till I have time and money to do something with it. In the last few months I have come up with a pan to build it into a gasser and I have started collecting parts for it. I have bought a straight axle and wheels as well as a big block and spare frame for my project. I have been selling parts I don’t need on Craigslist as well as working on a car for a friend to make some money for my parts collecting. I ended up spotting a set of new leaf springs that a guy had bought and installed only to not be happy with the height. He removed them and had them sitting around. He had posted them on Craigslist. I emailed back and forth with him and finally found the time to get by and meet up with him at his home just before Christmas. I show up at his house and he has the springs outside. He mentions we actually have the same last name and I think to myself, weird. We get to bullshitting a bit and I eventually ask him about his car. He says he has a 55’ 2dr Hardtop. I say cool. My Dad had one of those back in the day. He brings me into the garage and he lifts the cover on the car. I see that it is a dark metallic green. I say my Dad’s car was a dark metallic green. He then says the car’s data and VIN plates showed it was a black car with Green interior. I mention that my Dad’s car was also black before he painted it green. I did not know the interior colour. I knew the chances of this being my Dad’s car was slim but I decided to mention that he had sold the car to his friend Leo Crowley. He is still buddies with him today. I see the look on the current owners face and he tells me he bought it from a guy with the last name Crowley and he still has the transfer papers. He looks for it and the car was transferred from a Bill Crowley. I knew right away this had to be the car as Bill is Leo’s brother and I know him as well. I actually did not know that Leo had sold it to Bill until then though. I got on the phone with my father and start to tell him the story and he says that yes. Leo had traded it with Bill. So I tell my Dad “I found your car then”. Both my Dad and the current owner were ecstatic that we found each other. Funny thing is, I had this odd feeling from the second the current owner Dan, told me he had a 55’ 2dr hardtop. I dismissed it immediately as it would be impossible. Then as soon as I saw the car was green the feeling came back. It was very strange to have that sixth sense of finding that car. I have now been sharing some stories with Dan and he has been sending me pictures of the car from over the years and now. It has been great to share those pictures with my father. My Dad came over for Christmas and had a chance to see the pictures and had plenty of stories to reminisce. My Mom and Dad are split up but my Mom was also very happy to hear the car was still on the road as she had many memories of riding and driving in it from when it was her fathers as well as her boyfriends and later husband’s car. Dan has wanted to meet up with my Dad and has offered to take him out for a cruise with it. It looks like it couldn’t have ended up with a better owner and family. Dan has obviously cherished the car, driven and enjoyed it with his family for forty years now. He has modified it a number of times over the years and it is still looking amazing. I hope to meet up with him again soon to bullshit about cars and share stories on the car. What a small world this can be. It was such a great story I just had to share. I hope you all enjoy hearing it.
Cheers.
Greg

The current owner Dan, shared many great photos of the car with me. Here are some from the early to mid 70's shortly after he bought it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of that car today. It is a real Beauty.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I took time to read this when I got up, but didn't have time to comment. That is a great story and the only thing better would be if he would sell it back to you. But after 40 years, I am sure it is like a part of the family. Sometimes it just works out, stars align, destiny, call it what you will, but it's cool you found it or it found you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
cool story and thanks from me for sharing it.
and the photos were a great addition - its definitely a grouse looking car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has been a great story to share. I have also really enjoyed seeing my Dad so excited to hear about it and share his stories with me. Even if I had heard the stories many a time before. He also had the odd new bit to share.
Greg

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Great story Greg. Love the car too. Beautiful 55. It is a small world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts