Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of trying to DECIDE what to do after the engine in the Opel "blew-up" unexpectedly I have been going "back & forth" about what to do.

With VERY limited funds I was trapped and really did not know what to do. Had a deal on a 331 sbc I was leaning towards but was not totally positive about getting it. It is a "long block" so I still had things to buy PLUS it had a 12 to 1 compression ratio which probably would be somewhat problematic on the street.

The last week or so I have been checking on Craigs list 3-4 times a day looking for one of those "good deals" I have been just missing in the past.

I found a 350 in Massilon, Ohio about 2 1/2 hours from where I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

From what I have been told it was in a '66 Nova that the new owner purchased from someone in Southern California. Had it shipped back to Ohio & immediately pulled the 350 and the front suspension to make room for a BIG block & straight front axle. The engine was just pulled from the car last weekend.

The guy I bought the engine from got it in a "barter deal".... he did some work for the Nova's owner and got paid in cash & the 350. He was going to put the engine in a 4 x 4 but decided to sell it.

It was clear that he did not know much about the engine nor about what was done to the engine. etc......

STAMPED on the back of the head inside the "camel hump" is stamped "Nelson Racing Engines" and also got a "tag ......

From what I was able to look at so far it has a complete "Comp Cam" kit..... when I get the time I'll pull the "Nova pan" off & see what is going on on the "bottom end".

Maybe I got LUCKY for a change..... got it for $800.....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That is great news, John! Looks like your luck has taken a turn for the better. I hope you find everything in the engine to be perfect. It looks like it may have been built by a professional, so maybe there will be some good life left in it for the Opel. Congratulations!!! :)

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I see some good looking parts there that would indicate a better than average build! Sounds like it may be just what you're looking for! Hope the Opel is on the road soon!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Nelson Racing is a quality facility, they build some really top notch motors. You might want to contact them with the numbers off of that tag and see what they may represent. The stud girdle should indicate some serious cam specs too. You might have fallen into a fantastic deal. Are you going to break it down to see how everything looks inside? I'm thinking you're going to be a happy camper if indications are correct. Good for you John, a break was needed. Mark L

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Nice score! I agree with Mark, get ahold of Nelson Racing. I'm sure that they can tell you what they did as far as specs for the build. Seeing that it was in a Nova, it should match up weight wise with your Opel.

Glad things are going your way! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts