Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a video with a 1966 Falcon that was for sale on youtube a few years ago. This is the first straight axle 66+ Falcon I have found so far. It's kind of a for sale video, but at least It gives me an idea of what things could look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0OGhXpRgIA

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa_rYe2fWZ4

Here is the same car with a crappy paint job. It looks like the car didn't sell in the first video. It gives a better view of how they installed the front axle. The guy again clears his throat in the video which I found funny. The floor patch job is a bit suspect to me. The disc brakes look tiny!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Actually looks pretty good to me. I think a pair of wider cheater slicks would improve the rear look. Or really most any wider tire that filled the wheelwell better. Wonder what it ended up selling for, or if it met reserve?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Yeah, the Speedway kits came with Pinto 9 1/2" rotors... too small. Does/did need taller tires, that would have helped a lot. Clean enough car, though. Should look good with the right paint job. Did you see the one on Muscle Car? They did a blue panel job over white. Looked real nice.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Yeah, the Speedway kits came with Pinto 9 1/2" rotors... too small. Does/did need taller tires, that would have helped a lot. Clean enough car, though. Should look good with the right paint job. Did you see the one on Muscle Car? They did a blue panel job over white. Looked real nice.

Mike
So that's what the rotors are in the Speedway kits? I wondered what they used with the GM calipers. Mine stop great, even with the power assist removed from my master.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The base on the car actually looked fine, there were a lot of flaws in the flames which I felt didn't mesh well with the grey paint. It does need different sized tires to get the right look. I like the speedway kit, but I was thinking about trying to look for an econoline or equivalent axle as I love using old parts when possible. They have a neat look. My brakes right now are the GM metric calipers. I can't remember which rotors it has though! I'll have to ask my friend. I really need to start a good build book or save my buddies old build threads on this car. The bad part is a lot of his pictures are missing from the older threads.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Speedway has options now on the size of rotors, they offer 11" now. I will probably upgrade mine. I agree with the look of the older axles, I just couldn't fine one when I started this. It's a different world now. Gasser stuff everywhere. I guess that's good. I see the old axles on CL all the time now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a video of the 64 Comet from Muscle Car, Altered Ego. It looks really nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S5L3BrSVlw

It is funny how you can't find any parts, but when something gets more popular the parts start popping out of the barns, garages and storage sheds. I can usually find about 2-3 for sale on CL at any time. Unfortunately they are always a 3 hour drive away in NY.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
That was a pretty cool build on PB. That's one of the shows on PB that I enjoy watching most the time. Those two guys do good work, and Rick's a great painter and pinstriper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
New guy here, and I have not figure out the picture posting think yet, but you can see a lot of pictures of my 67 falcon over on the yblocks forever site. Just go the the racing section and go down to Falcon gasser. I used a narrowed econline axle in it, also if you look for the Battlefield raceway nostalgia race post, there is a short video of the car making a pass.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
New guy here, and I have not figure out the picture posting think yet, but you can see a lot of pictures of my 67 falcon over on the yblocks forever site. Just go the the racing section and go down to Falcon gasser. I used a narrowed econline axle in it, also if you look for the Battlefield raceway nostalgia race post, there is a short video of the car making a pass.
Welcome to the forum Top Kick! How much did you have to narrow the Econoline axle to get it to fit?
PS-I went through 13 pages at racing section of "yblocks forever" and only post I found was someone asking how a Falcon Gasser was coming along?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Isaac, the guy that built my 9 inch almost traded a pair of big block Chevy heads that I had for a '67 Falcon he was setting on. I was really tempted but down here the cu toff is 1966 and older, with no special registration and smog checks etc. So that and the fact that I really don't need another car setting around, broke the deal. But I was really tempeted. I like all of the Falcon year styles but the '66 and up are kind of different and look really good as a racecar/gasser. If it had been a '66, I'd would probably be lookin gou at it right now and defending my decision to the wife, for which there is no defence. LOL. Mark L

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
So that's what the rotors are in the Speedway kits? I wondered what they used with the GM calipers. Mine stop great, even with the power assist removed from my master.
As I recall when I was looking at the Speedway kit that the disc brakes were from a Chevy Impala.... or optional Wilwood ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The thread is on page 5 of the racing section, titled Y Block Falcon Gasser, I had to take 4 1/4 in's out best that I remember. I bumped it to the top so it should be on page one now.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
The thread is on page 5 of the racing section, titled Y Block Falcon Gasser, I had to take 4 1/4 in's out best that I remember. I bumped it to the top so it should be on page one now.
Just went through 23 pages of your build at Yblocks Forever Glen! What a great looking build!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey I think you for that, I built this car to run the Yblock shootout at National Trails in Columbus OH, I have not made it yet due to unforeseen circumstances, but I plan on being their this year.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Top Kick. I was at a swap meet last weekend and of all things, a guy was selling a full stack fuel injection system for a 272-292 Yblock Ford. I looked at it and I knew something was different, but it took me a minute to realize the inlets were stacked instead of side by side. The seller looked at me studying it and asked me if I knew what it was for. Right away I said either Ford Yblock or an International Harvester and I doubt its the Harvester, lol. He said I was the first one all day that knew what it was. I didn't get a chance to ask how much since he stepped away to answer another guys questions. But I bet it wasn't cheap. I wished I could remember the maker but I just don't remember seeing a name on it. Mark L

·
Registered
10 Posts
Vintage y block speed equipment is bringing a bundle now, 10 years ago you could not give it away. Buddy of mine has adapted a sbc {scrub} hilborn setup to his 330 + y block. He is making 475 + hp and after upgrading to the new Mummert heads ported by Joe Craine he sould be at 500 + easy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts