Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have put the Pop on hold as my heart says THIS has to be done first.

Was lucky and just found a braced and narrowed 9" housing from a local guy. It also has the brackets for 4-link and coilovers. And the width is perfect...and i got it cheap :cool:
So now im gonna get the rearend cleaned and setup with new end housings and axles so its ready for mockup in new rear frame.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's always cool to see what is happening on the other side of the world. Thank You for sharing. I will keep watching...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im actually finding it a little bit easier to start on this since its standing in my own garage (not the one i rent)... and that makes its possible to work on it every day if i like. Then the "chief" can just shout out the kitchen window to get hold of me..haha.

Dragged home a little welder and a grinder yesterday from my other garage, so now im ready to stiffen it up and tear it down. Also trying to find some big H-profile sections to use for a frame "jig".

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
That... is... COOL!!!!!!

I have loved those since I was a kid. Saw one pull the front wheels at a stoplight.

I agree with your decision. Plus, if you are closer to home you can get more done, less travel time. :D

Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That... is... COOL!!!!!!

I have loved those since I was a kid. Saw one pull the front wheels at a stoplight.

I agree with your decision. Plus, if you are closer to home you can get more done, less travel time. :D

Mike
Less travel time.., but most important -> The Wife knows where to find me..haha :D

The rearend i found was maybe not what i looked for... as it will cost me quite a bit to finish, and has lots of brackets welded to it that i dont need, needs blasting, new ends etc.. All in all.... i end up getting a new one.
Anyone have any good or bad to say about Quick Performance? I want to buy a narrowed 9" housing with axles, bearings and a cheap-o brake-kit. Have been looking at Moser and Strange, and i will probable end up with paying around 1300-1500 from them. Quick seems to be a little cheaper.. even with the Moser axles. Dont need a promod rearend, but something that can stand up with 4-5-600hp.
Or are any of you guys building them? I guess its a pretty easy thing to do when you have a jig and good welding skills.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I've only had a couple built, and used a local outfit to do the housing. But they've moved, and now I'm not sure what direction I'd take to do the narrowing. I do know a couple other local builders who do fab work and can build the housings, but don't do axles. So I guess if I did another I'd have one of them do the housing, and order axles from Moser or Strange.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My problem is that there are hardly anyone who will do this where i live... and those who will really know to price their services high up in the sky.
Got a quote from a local shop just to narrow a stock housing and weld on new ends - $1000-1100! And thats if i bring my own housing. Thats not even considered anymore.
I have looked around for used and narrowed housings that can fit, but no real luck yet.

Im also a little bit in doubt how wide i should have the rearend: would you help me out making a decission guys?? :D I have the money, ready to order....so...
Here`s some details:

Inside measurement from panel to panel is 135cm / 53.14"
Wheels with tyres measure 21cm / 8.26" from mounting surface to outside at most.

That means if i want the tyres to be exact same width as the body, i will need an rearend at 36.6" end to end.
Next thing is the fenders, they are barely 1" wide... So, if i will fill the fenders, i could step up to approx 37.5".
But if i want typical gasser style, how much would you go?
Or can i go for something like 36.5" and then use spacers to get it wider if i want?

Here are som examples:

This kinda looks stupid..hehe

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I love voting on other peoples cars Marius! I really like the looks of the yellow one. Tires stick out just right, no extra fender flare. Just looks right to me. Put your tires under the car where you want them to be, with the wheels you will use and measure the distance between the wheel backfaces and go from there. That was the easiest for me anyway. Glad you got it home. Have fun.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Gasserx, looks like a great project! I'll be interested in following this. I agree with Mike, I like the rear on the yellow one. Just right.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Things tend to change direction all the time.... damn. Out to have a look at another local found rearend. 8 3/4, 40 splines, Strange spool, discbrake-kit... Total length with my wheels and tyres is 60" - thats about 2" tyre outside fender on each side on the Thames.
Priced to around $1000 - what you think?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
That sounds like a smokin price. the width is about right for the yellow look too. I ended up with more than that in my rearend, but I had to do it a little at a time. Check the ring gear for wear, but it sounds good.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back. It was mediablasted, but had surface rust all over - nothing bad, but it needs to be redone. Other than that everything looked good. And the bolt pattern is the same as my wheels :) It was also heavily backbraced. I guess this rearend will hold more than double the power im aiming at.
I made a deal with they guy!
He is also a dragracer, so my kids were allowed to sit in his car (its the orange in the vid).

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's a pretty good price gasserx, and a good rear end. I spent much more that that building mine. Although mine's a sure-grip which brings the price up over a spool. Fully rebuilt everything. I hadn't ever added up the total but let's say I wish I spent 1K!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts