Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this possible? there was a 4spd toploader on my Cleveland before. now im wondering if the bolt pattern is the same between the Windsor and Cleveland as far as the plate and bell housing goes. im pretty sure the t-5 has the v8 shaft on it and not the 4 banger one. hopefully...

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
If I was putting a T5 behind a 351 C it would have to be a World Class T5. Any T5 that bolts to a 302 or 5.0 will also bolt to a 351C from what I've heard. But even the WC may not hold up to a stout 351's torque! I'd guess it will at some time fail, and when depends on your engine, driving habits, and the T5 you choose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so it does bolt up. my plan is to have mine sent in to tremec and have them go through it and face plate it too. im not gonna just throw it behind 408 stoker build and let it go to waste. THANKS for the info! :D

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I think that's a start, but the metal used in T5 gears may still not hold up to 351 power. I'd get an idea of your 408 HP/torque, and run it past Tremec to see what they think. A better choice would be the later T56 style 5 or 6 speed, as they are much stronger. If you don't need an OD , a good Top Loader, Muncie, or Super T10 would be an even better option.
A stroker motor will really up the HP/torque, and limit what trans can handle it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that's a start, but the metal used in T5 gears may still not hold up to 351 power. I'd get an idea of your 408 HP/torque, and run it past Tremec to see what they think. A better choice would be the later T56 style 5 or 6 speed, as they are much stronger. If you don't need an OD , a good Top Loader, Muncie, or Super T10 would be an even better option.
A stroker motor will really up the HP/torque, and limit what trans can handle it.
in red: Muncie is column shift? and I thought the toploader was going to be weak.. and I didn't want just 4 gears... it wouldn't help on the highway haha. ill take a look around and see what the guys that are using to be in the 9 sec gate with a manual trans. but most importantly.. if it will bolt up.

I really appreciate the help. now knowing what the basic t5 can handle.. its not worth the hastle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like the Muncie m22 rock crusher is gonna be my best bet. thanks for the help Vall.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Transmissions aren't column or floor shift. Most older manual trans are whatever linkage you put on them, but very rare that any 4 speed would be column shift. The M22 is probably the strongest old 4 speed you could ever put in a car! But the prices for an M22 are crazy high! They run in the $2500-$3000 range in perfect mechanical condition. A Super T10 is rated slightly lower, but is strong enough for a lot of HP and torque! I'm running a Super T10 behind the 464 BBC in my Falcon, and it's taking hard launches with slicks hooking well, and not giving up. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Super T10 in almost any hotrod. It's about half the price of an M22 also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the t10 may be cheaper. but the M22 is seriously reeling me in. I mean.. look at the teeth on that thing! just need to see if I can find a bellhousing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just looked up David kee top loaders. i will give them a call. see what we can come up with. an old family friend just referred me to them. complete trans new from bell housing to tail shaft.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
When I built my '63 Falcon gasser I started looking at Craigslist ads and it didn't take long to find a great buy on a 4 speed. I got a freshly built Super T10 from a 2nd gen Camaro, and it came with linkage and Hurst shifter for $550. Less than half the price my buddy gave for a freshly built Super T10, without linkage. I'm always on a budget, so I try to find bargains to save where I can. Got my Lakewood bellhousing the same way, and only $60 vs. $400 new. I'd definitely go with an SFI approved bellhousing like a Lakewood for any serious build with HP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a Lakewood bell housing for a t10 to bolt up to a Cleveland but the guy wants 300 for it. finding a t10 near me.. that's almost impossible.

id like to be on the bargain side, but not for a transmission. I really appreciate the help. you have opened my eyes much more. thank you.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Why wouldn't you want a bargain on a transmission? I'd understand if it was an automatic, or a trans you can't inspect easily? But almost all of the older 4 speeds can be given a thorough inspection by simply pulling the side plate, or the top plate. I feel very comfortable buying a bargain 4 speed, since it's not buying sight unknown.
Now automatics kinda scare me, as I can't look at them and know if it's like new, or just a new paint job!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know the abuse they went through or how long they have been sitting. I despise automatics entirely. the amount of abuse I will put a transmission throught is what determines I should get, close to new M22 or a D.K. toploader. they are about the same price.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
That's always an issue with any used parts. But most used parts can be inspected to see how much wear they have. I wouldn't spend the huge prices a brand new trans gets when I can inspect a used trans to see if it's good and save a lot of my hotrod money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cant really inspect a part over the interweb though. there are no M22's or t10's around me locally or 100 miles away. as of right now there isn't anyway.

the next swap meet I can go to.. lets just say I bring home more than I should sometimes. but maybe there will be a rock crusher.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts