Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the car painted! Didn't get crazy with body work, left some highs, lows and waves here and there.. Painted her gasser green with a satin finish clear coat... Now on to assembly :+1:

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am just a guy who will always be a kid at heart, especially regarding gasser hot rods. Will this be a street driven car with an occasional trip to the drags. I agree with Vall, can not tell what engine is in just makes me scratch my head:confused...I love your ford!... now that the good weather is in, time to get back on my 37 in my garage just waiting for me to get it restarted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 468 big block chevy, rectangle port heads, 10.75.1 comp , .648 lift comp solid flat tappet cam .. Stock rods, ARP bolts , speed pro Pistons.. Rearend is a 9" ford, strange 31 spline axles, Detroit locker, I'm running a Chrysler A833 4speed trans modified by liberty with a Mr Gasket V gate shifter... Just a bunch of stuff I had or friends had laying around.. It's just something I can drive to work, the hardware store or cruise night.. I will race the car periodically but it was built just to drive around on the street... Thanks guys

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using a speedway front axle kit, I used the frame rails that were stock formed in with the old strut towers but I trimmed the sheet metal away... I put a crossmember in the rear and tied a set of 2x3 frame rails into the stock front rails for strength

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
That's a good looking ride. I've got an 8 3/4" Mopar housing running 4:56 gears in my 53 and when I was debating what I wanted for innards, a locker or full spool, Money ended up being the deciding factor; so a spool it was. Decades later it's still in there and no broken axles; I just don't go fast around turns. It's funny too, because now that I have the money to go with a locker I figure "what for". I'll wait till I break something...........

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Thanks for the details! Sounds like a great combination, and I love that it will be driven to street events, and fun driving!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little more progress.... Front axle and steering is chromed, motor, trans and shifter are in, rear end is in, I built a 12 gallon fuel cell, mounted fuel pump,fuel lines are in and seats are upholstered...still a ways to go but I'm getting antsy!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran into issues with the factory steering column, the upper bearing was wore out, the wiring was butchered up and it was originally a automatic car so it had the gear selector and the shift lever on it... After I had it painted and tried to locate a 4speed top collar pc, wiring and a bearing I was frustrated... So I got a pc of 2 1/4" aluminum tube and some 2 1/4" bar stock.. I machined some bushings so I could use the stock steering shaft in the aluminum tube that way I could utilize the rag joint on the steering box and the steering wheel adapter that I had already purchased... About 30 min on the lathe and $10.00 for the tubing I have a new column

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure if any of you fellow hot rodders ever ran into this issue... I could not find tail light lenses to save my life, I'd get out bid on E bay, I'd call around trying to find re manufactured lenses.. No luck, I tried swap meets, I had no luck.. So, I went to a local plastics shop and picked up some transparent red lexan and a pc of ribbed / clear pc, traced the remains of my old lense, cut and drilled the bolt holes.. And I made myself tail light lenses... They aren't as cool as the factory bullet lenses but I made these for $12.00.. Sometimes you gotta get crafty ..

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Wow! The Fairlane looks like a great looking car, and nicely done! I love making little parts and pieces, and I think your taillight lens is even nicer than the original! Nobody will ever wonder why you made them, they'll just want some too!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Its hard to type when your jaw is hanging slack and you cant take your eyes off the pictures! I cant wait to hear it run. Just beautiful...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts