Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The radiator that I've been saving won't fit into my new/old project and I need some help/opinions/suggestions. I need to run an automatic transmission and have a Mustang 5.0/AOD combination that I know is good to go.

None of the aftermarkey aluminum or import radiators that will fit the confines have a transmission cooler option built in, so a remote cooler will be needed.

I know about how fragile the AOD is, how manually shifting it will wear it out prematurely, and how fussy the TV cable set-up can be, I was wondering if this trans also had cooling issues? Can I get away with something like the Jeep remote trans cooler or will I HAVE to find a radiator with the cooler built in like what came stock in the Mustang.

Not sure about all of this but wondering and concerned . . .

Thanks ! ! !

Tommy

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Tommy a good external is better than the combo rad/cooler...the aod is best if you rework the valve body...it will hold up...hit the wrecking yards there are f150's and other trucks with external coolers...I have seen guys using every thing from ac and refrigerator components to make trans coolers...I saw a guy that used 4 ford power steering coolers to cool his rat rod trans...hit the yards if this is on a budget...all transmissions make a lot of heat, main source is from the converter....I think there are a few of the trucks that you can rob a high volume pan from

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
I agree with Lash. I like remote coolers much better, and never use in radiator coolers, even if the radiator has it. I have never seen a reason to add engine heat to my trans cooling, when I could keep it cooler by avoiding the radiator.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I use an aluminum air conditioning condenser? I pulled one from my wife's car when we scrapped it?

Would there be a minimum size for a trans cooler to be effective for cooling the AOD?

Would an in-line transmission fluid temp gauge be appropriate?

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Have you noticed how small the trans coolers are inside a radiator? Very minimal, so almost any external cooler is larger. An air conditioning condenser may actually be too much cooling, and the trans can suffer from being too cool. I would stick with something around 12"-16" long, and no more than 2-3 coil passes. But if the length is shorter, even 4 passes works great. The one in my Austin is 4 passes, but only about 9"-10" long. I made one years ago from an old condenser on a small window AC unit that worked great.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Tommy you can use the evaporator...also the condenser but with the condenser you would have to blanket part of it...or bra it what ever term you want to use..it would add volume to your system...but would have to be mounted in front of the radiator or under the car...alot of trouble .....plus if you have a big engine you will need all cooling you can get for the engine.....you want the trans to run 160 degrees up to no more than 190 for maximum longevity and performance ...like Vall said you dont want it to cold....I see summit has them for as low as $30

1 - 6 of 6 Posts