Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my project:

Now the fun starts! I am really to young to have seen the real gassers live when they were born back in the days, so all i know about them is what i have found on the internet from pictures, vids and forums. This btw seems to be the correct forum for any help i would need :D

Im building this with a small block chevy.. my donor engine was mostly crap, and the block was the only thing usable, so its getting .030 boring and all new internals including a stroker crank. Forged pistons, I-beam rods, flat tappet cam, etc.. I have not decided for the heads yet, but i want to go somewhere oldschool, so any advice here please. I plan on getting an old tunnel ram for the air and fuel.

I got lucky and found some 15x8.5 MT Medallions for the rear at a pretty nice price.
Not sure about the front yet, but i`ll figure out some skinny wheels for the front.

Im also looking for a rear axle, and i am not sure wich way to go yet, but i need to find one soon to get the rear set. I dont have unlimited access to money..so i rather not get a complete bullet proof company built axle at $3000.
Any thoughts? I have a little bit of limitations to any axle i want since i dont live in USA.
I can get a nice 10-bolt for a good price right now, is that something i can use?

I`ll post more pics later. Thanks for looking, and feel free to coment :)

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
NICE ! ! There are a host of rear differentials you could go with, most use the nine inch Ford. But again so many others will work, depending on exactly what you you plan to do, and what width, and wether or not you want go the expense of narrowing...... That 10 bolt will work just fine again depending on wether you are narrowing and or what width. Thanks for posting :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Gasserx, it really depends on whether you plan to go drag racing or a street car. I myself am building my car on a budget, parts and pieces gathered from swap meets, craigslist, ebay, etc. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice ride you just have to shop around. Also there's a classified section on this forum you can post a wanted add and see what people have for sale. I purchased a pair of used Holley 450's from maddog after placing a wanted add. By the way he has too more 450' s thats brand new for sale also.
Andy

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Welcome Gasserx. Glad you chose to join us. I look forward to seeing more of your project and watching your transformation. The little English Fords played a very large part of Gasser history. It is refreshing to know a younger generation is interested in the Gasser Life......Good Luck with your new Gasser! :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the welcomes, i really appreciate that :)

I`ll think i will try to get that 10-bolt axle. Im not aiming at very high times at strip in the beginning, so i guess it will hold up pretty well with some modifications...oh and yes, it will be a race car only. I would never be able to get this car registered for the street over here.

Here is the wheels i got, from what i have found out they should be very period correct (produced between 1967 and 1969 only):

They are 15x8.5" Now im looking for some 3.5-4" for the front.

And here is the 350 beeing disasembled. Its a -79 2-bolt. Block is at the engine-shop right now to get a new bore.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Gasserx, sweet looking wheels I am using a set of 15x10 in slots for the rear of my Henry j. I have an s-10 truck rearend for my build because of the narrow width, and the price was right.
Andy

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Can't go wrong with slots! They are always appreciated, and traditional. As for the 10 bolts; there are all sorts of 10 bolts, and huge differences between them. The weakest are the small 7.7" 10 bolts, but even they will hold up to a SBC that's not getting high rpm launches, especially if an automatic is behind the SBC.
The strongest of all the 10 bolts is the 8.5" that came out in late 1970, and was used up into the mid 80's. These 10 bolts are identified by the little squared corners on the center casting that can be seen at 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock when looking at them from the back.
There are also some smaller 10 bolts that came from large GM cars that have huge axle shafts, and these make great rearends, even though they have the smaller 7.7" ring gear. I'm running a mid 80's Pontiac 10 bolt in my Austin gasser, and the axles are larger than those found on the much desired 12 bolt GM rear! So far my Pontiac 10 bolt has held up great. I always figured it was a temporary rearend when I bought it, but it's proving it's strength.
If you're going to have a 10 bolt narrowed, then I'd also go with the Strange Eng. C clip eliminator kit at that time. It makes these rearend safer, as it will retain the axles in the case of a broken axle shaft, where the stock C clip will allow the axle to exit if it's broken.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, slots are very nice. And im very happy about getting these :) I also have some 30x10.5 slicks, but im a little unsure about how it will look...well, its only one way to find out :D
The 10 bolt i have in mind is an 8.5" and it has the square corners that you mention 1946Austin. Here is a picture of it:

It has odd gearing i think, its 2.56? But i guess it would be a good thing to change everything inside anyway.
If im not mistaken it is 56" end to end, so its a bit to wide for the Anglia and needs to be narrowed, and i would need new axles - and also a spool.
C-clip eliminator is a must, otherwise im not able to race the car over here because of the rules.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Yes! That' the best of the 10 bolts, as it's only 1/4" smaller than the big 12 bolt GM rearend!
Great looking body. It looks very solid, and straight too! I also like the stock width fenders. A friend of mine has 2" wider fenders on his 2dr. Austin like mine, and although it's very nice, I'm just more attracted to the stock width fenders.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Vall, I agree, the stock width rear fenders look better on a gasser. Now if your going for the prostreet look the wider fenders are almost a must.
Andy

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
That is a great looking project. The 10 bolt you have should handle 500hp pretty easily. The main problem will be if you get it to hook really well the axles may be an issue. Fill it with good pieces. Nice slots.

Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im going gasser, not Pro street ;) So stock fenders is going back on.
Regarding the rear i was thinking Moser or Strange axles would be a good choice, i just need to get that 10 bolt home first, but seems like i can pick ut up on monday.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Removed the pics of the car that i posted earlier and re-post them here (better quality) + some more pics. These are from the previous owner though, so all work done in the pics is by him.
You can see he has already set it up with another rear end. Its an Volvo 1031, same as Dana 30, but i doubt it will hold up as good as the 10 bolt.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here is another project im working on...but you can also see a little bit of how my workshop looks like (part of it at least) :D Its in an old barn.. :rolleyes:
I have space for 3 smaller cars. I have the Anglia, a Fiat 600 (also a gasser project) and a VW T1 from -55. I have space for enginebuilding, tools, spares etc too...and im very happy with it :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks Prostreet :)

Sure, here they are. Fiat is in the early start. But it will be powered by a VW flat four with high compression and Weber 48 IDA`s.

Not really sure if it classfies as a real gasser, but i think it will be something like this little (i guess famous) 600:

And here is the bug and my twins:

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Great looking cars, especially the Fiat! Any engine is an improvement over the tiny Fiat stock engine! A VW engine with some performance parts should really scoot!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I used to be into bugs in the '80s and had a '55 oval with an 1835 with double dels. It would pull the front tires. They had Bug-Ins here in Portland and Seattle that would draw the guys from Cali up with their racers and I got to see the Little Giant Killer and another guy had a BMW Isetta with a big bug engine in it that was insane! Good memories.

Great builds. They fit here no doubt.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts