Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this car a few years ago, I'm thinking it has to have some interesting history and I'm hoping someone here might recognize it or know something about it. I bought it as just the chassis, body shell and cage, it has a few paint jobs on it as I can see some old paint coming through from underneath the last paint, probably done in the very early 70s. It came from the Lancaster/Ontario area of SoCal and was at one time sponsored by Advanced Transmissions and owned and driven by a guy named "Lil' Wayne" Moore. Somebody on Moparts.com recognized it and had a couple pics from the early 70s, but no info. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a few pics as it was, as I got it, and as it is partially resurrected.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope to have it out at the track this summer, I got a couple pallets of completely unrelated parts with the car and have managed to hack, weld, cut, bend and fabricate them into what you see in the pic. My 71 cuda has given up its 500 horse 440, made some aluminum plates to fit a 383 tunnel ram, narrowed 12 bolt with 5.13 gear and ladder bars, '36 Dodge 'wavey tube' axle with aluminum Aston Martin discs etc. A lot will likely get changed as I'm sure some of my "tape measure and chalkmarks on the floor" engineering will need some adjustments. The engine is set back 14 inches, so it likely ran as an altered in it last configuration. I was doing some grinding beside it and the dust brought up some of the paint jobs under the current one, drivers names, sponsors etc so I think it was a racecar probably from the mid or early 60s. It had a bunch of window stickers from most of the 64 through 72 Winternationals and a few extinct tracks like Lions and Fremont, they disintegrated when I blew the dust out but I took pictures and got new ones for when its all done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
WoW!!! What a great find. Love those old cars. They usually need a lot of updating for safety etc, but what better base to work off of than an actual old race car. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this car and yourself with us. Looking forward to your progress.

Mark L

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
There's a fella over on the HAMB site that has a Henry J he's put together that has a very similar paint job to yours! At first glance it surprised me how much they look alike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
He says he was inspired by pics I'd posted, I thought the same thing at first. I'm going to leave the 'patina' look on mine at least for a season or 2, then maybe repaint in similar style. I was just going through some of my HAMB posts, some are older and there were replies I hadn't seen. Someone figures this is my car in the movie "Heart like a Wheel" from 1983, it looks like it could be, but the resolution on the Youtube version is too poor to be sure of it. Its at the 17:40 mark for just a few seconds, same flip front, paint scheme, hole in the hood and windshield. Maybe someone has a better copy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL1BpJ65o2Q

1 - 7 of 7 Posts