Gasser HotRods banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you folks may have read I was looking for a Tri Five Ford to use as my Gasser project. I picked Ford simple because while I have sevreal Tri Five Chevys, they pretty much own the gasser world. I wanted something that would in the end be different. I had found quite a few Fords for sale but nothing that really got my blood to pumping if you know what I mean.

When I decided to go Nostalgia racing there were more than one type of car at the head of my list. While I dearly love all of my Chevys I wanted different. The cars that I would have chosen were Willys, Anglia but always way up there in front was a 49,50 or 51 Olds. Well all of those were just as popular to everyone else as they were to me. And with prices to match. About two months or so ago I had traded my old 46 Ford 2 dr sedan to a feller in Kentucky who had one of those old Oldsmobile's, I had tried and tried to by that thing but he just wanted more money than I was willing to pay, and really wasn't all that interested in selling at all.

Well he called me up tonight just to shot the bull about our trade and we got to talking. I told him about my Sedan Delivery that I had just bought and he wanted to see some pictures. I sent him a few and he called back an hous or so later and now he was offering me a trade. Sedan Delivery for his 1951 Olds that actually was raced as a gasser years ago. Engine has changed and it is a 4 speed car even with a little real history. I jumped on that, I have way less into this Chevy than anyone would believe anyways and he wanted a small fortune for the Olds. So I leave here Wednesday morning for a little road trip, told him I would gladly come to him as part of the deal.

here's a few pic's let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
congrats and have a safe trip. looks like a fun ride, enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
OK, the Chevy was great but you gotta love that Olds. Great score. I'm excited to see more about it and what you do with it. Or are you planning to basically use it as is? Nice! Mark L

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
Very cool Olds! Of course I love the sedan delivery too! Looking forward to seeing what the rest the Olds looks like, and your plans for it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That car is sweet and I,,like you,,am looking to get something different. I like the fact that this site has an open mind about alternatives to the 'same-ole' stuff. I hope you are willing ta answer a lot of questions because that car will draw a lot of em-He-He,,,WAY COOL !!
PS.Can you give us more pictures,,,Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys the Olds didn't pan out after all. You know the deal got up there got it out of the dudes shop for a good luck and it just wasn't what I thought it was when I first saw it setting in the guys shop. The bad thing was it was rough and I mean rough, tons of rust around the beltline and in the passender side door at the bottom. The paint was the owner said around 10 years old. I understood that and was ready to deal with that. The problem was what was hidden under that paint. I realize it is a 60 year plus car and I wasn't expecting a show car, not in the least, but with the parts availablity of an old Olds it was more than I was willing to deal with. The Sedan Delivery is a very nice car, parts are available from at least a dozen suppliers--It is after all a Tri Five Chevy-- and it was just a bad deal all around for this old Cowboy.

So the hunt goes on for the Gasser project. I really wanted to have something ready for this summer's drag racing season. I guess I just may have to forgo the "Different" thing and maybe build that 55 Sedan Delivery into my Gasser project. I have Four Tri-Five Chevy's, guess that just may be the thing to do. I don't think I know of a 55 Chevy Sedan Delivery gasser, you guys correct me if I am wrong. Maybe it would be different in and of itself!!!

Roland

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sorry 'bout that Hombre. I know what you mean about that. done it a few times also. Pictures sure are deceiving on cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey,,,I'm not throwin any rocks at the sedan del. That's a nice,desireable car and has lots of potential. The Olds was a lot different than what you see.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You gotta go with what you feel is right. The '55 SD is nothing but a great car to work with. And although still a '55, it is still not your typical '55 gasser. The coolest part is all the fun things you can do with the interior of those monsters. Shag carpet walls and roof, a little bed in the back and a TV???? Ala 1960's vans---hey????? Could be really fun. ORRRR, if you want to be really different. Engine in the rear, huh?? Huh??? Now we be talkin'. Mark L

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think I know of a 55 Chevy Sedan Delivery gasser, you guys correct me if I am wrong. Maybe it would be different in and of itself!!!
Sure Deliveries raced. They were more sought after then you can imagine.

I have a CD I made for myself. It's Tri-5 Wagons, Nomads, and Sedan Deliveries with a few Tri-5 Pontiacs thrown in. I'm sure if I looked through all the images there would be a few Delivery gassers there.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I just meant that they were a bit less prevalent than the 2 dr models. I remember them being used mostly for Jr. Super Stock alot. If you have that CD it would great to see it. Especially tri five pontiacs since I'm a little biased (do ya think?? heh?). Mark L

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
Wagons were seen a bit more than sedan deliveries, as they were more plentiful. But I'm not sure either ran in true gas classes. Not even sure the gas classes allowed for wagon or sedan deleivery body styles? Anybody know the answer for sure?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Good question, I would like to know that as well. I've never seen any actual printing that declares wagons etc as illegel but that does not mean it was not there. Mark L

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey gassers, there were some wagons and deliveries raced in gas classes, 'twerent many but there were some. A good book to get on gassers is called GASSER WARS.You should get this and read tells a lot about the old gassers. You can find it on ebay.Hey guys keep on gassing.

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
I've got Larry Davis' book, and not many days pass that I don't look at it. It's a super good book for us lovers of old gassers! There's another one out by a different author, but a friend got it by mistake and it's not quite as good.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Sorry, Hombre... but wagons and deliveries were used alot because of the added weight in the rear (more grip!). I don't know about the ratio of wagons to deliveries, but I think it is probably proportionate to the number built. How many nomads do you see? I know there were some raced, not many built.

Run what ya brung!

You could always build it, have fun with it, then sell the finished car to get some $ to build a new one.

Later,

Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts