Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No one else has mentioned this so I thought I'd post it. I for one am all for this, the vehicle weight divided by the cubic inches to determine your racing class designation. Heads up class racing the way it was and should be.

Gasser Magazine Racing Report by Don Moyer
Last issue we put feelers out there for a Gasser points series. The idea was to have a few races that were in conjunction
with events already in place. We were curious on what the pulse was in the hobby for something like this. Most feedback we
received was wishing us luck to get all the different groups to agree on how to race. We feel there is a need to try to unify the
hobby that has become fractured by many different groups with their own rules and interpretations of what a Gasser actually
is!
When I took over as Race Director for Gasser Magazine, my focus was to bring some awareness to what made a car a
Gasser and to equalize technology verse nostalgia. We are no doubt in a Gasser boom! There are probably more Gassers
(and interpretatioins) today then back during the 60's! There are also a lot of nostalgia events. Back in 2002 when Gasser
Magazine held the first Gasser Reunion, it stood alone. Today it is hard to find a date that does not have a Nostalgia race on
the schedule. Then, there are the paid-to-perform events where tracks hire groups to come in and put on a show. This is all
good stuffl
But...We need a national event, and a sanctioning body that understands our racing. The national drag racing associations
are out of touch with its sportsmen, let alone nostalgia racers, The paid events are the same guys match racing each other
time after time. Gassers by definition are RACE CARS! I am not talking about the everybody gets a trophy society we are
becoming either, I am talking the way it used to be. Gasser Magazine is going to offer tracks and Gasser Folks a solution.
We are going to be "RACING BACK TO THE SIXTIES'!
Those were the days we raced lbs/cubic inch. Our first test of this style racing is at Rock'N Race, Dragway 42 this summer.
The track is on board and is actually paying gas money to all Gassers who attend! More information on that is in another
article in this issue. ln a nut shell, we are going to race heads up 1/4 mile vehicle weigh/cubic inch classes. There will be 3
unique main classes that will cater to today's nostalgia climate and should cover every Gasser out there. lf it doesn't fit into
one of these classes listed below, it probably isn't a Gasser.
HERITAGE GAS (SORRY not a class at the Rock'N Race at Dragway 42)
This is as real as it gets. Build your car to the 1965 NHRA Rule book. lf it was not available in 1965 or before, you can't
have it on your car! (Modern Safety Equipment Required.) Even the tires must be like what they had. There are a few
different vendors that sell vintage style slicks. Gas Coupes/Sedan 1965 NHRA Rules can be found on page 44 as well as at
www. GASSERmagazine.com
NOSTALGIA GAS
This is the traditional "nose high" cars, They resemble the Gassers of yesterday, but have the ability to use modern performance
parts. This class is what most Gassers are today,
COMPETITION GAS
The modern Gasser, this class is the class that uses traditional Gasser bodies and modifies then for the ultimate in speed
and stability with today's technology. This is for the folks that have the need for speed!
Sounds like fun right? To make it about the fun and not the money, races will be for trophies only. Bragging rights and
maybe some magazine coveragel Look for the possibility of a national event in 2018 with weigh-in and actual record attemptsl
Think you know a track that might want to host a Gasser Magazine race? Have them contact me and we will work out the details.
We will be aggressively pursuing this for the 2018 season. Actual class definitions and rules will be available soon!
I know you're going to have questions and suggestions, Email me and we'll figure it all out as we go.

Wood Line Rectangle Flooring Font

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Well it sounds perfect as they're starting out! Hope it stays in that direction, and doesn't go down in flames with whiners, and those looking for some edge.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I like it!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Well it sounds perfect as they're starting out! Hope it stays in that direction, and doesn't go down in flames with whiners, and those looking for some edge.
I agree! It will be interesting to see where this goes..... I do hope it works!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sounds good.:cool: Let's see if it will work. Seems kind of complicated.:eek: May need 20 to 30 tech. guys just to run the three classes AND sub classes.:eek: Many complicating problems here! Gas class was simple, GO FAST! Now what? Run a '65 based 9.0 AA or BB gas car with NO modern equipment just because. That's insane.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Scott,
You missed something. The heritage class descriptions states "Modern Safety Equipment Required". Other than that no modern equipment allowed. What's not to like? Real distributors or mags with points or dual points. No throttle stop, no trans brake, no delay box etc., basically no bull shit electronics; you have to drive the car. Heads up balls out racing based on weight to cubic inches. You got an automatic, you brake torque it. You have a stick, you heel toe the brake and gas pedal or build yourself an old school drag brake, Vall and I talked about those in a post a couple years ago. As for the number of tech inspectors needed it shouldn't be as you wrote, 20-30. When I raced Irwindale and Long Beach in the 60s there were maybe at the most 10 tech guys who were more than able to handle the cars without much trouble. You roll onto the scale, the tech guy marks your weight, asks you your cubic inches, marks it down on the card and puts the class designation and car number on your windows (not your fucking "dial in time" that you can continue to change at your whim) then you get in line for tech inspection. Unless you're really kicking cars asses in your class, chances are you're not going to be challenged to a cubic inch and\or fuel check.
Yeah baby, racing the way it was and never should have changed; an equal playing field.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Well written Steve! And as I see it, I hope they wont get so nitpicky that they'll do as some groups have and tell competitors they can't race because their wheels are not from the 60's. I love the thought of an automatic with just a shift kit, and a high stall converter. Trans brakes don't belong in gas classes. Hope they don't eliminate coilover shocks, since they were late to the gas classes, but wouldn't give a competitor an edge.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I totally agree. I built mine with the old rules in mind and modified some areas for safety. I can't qualify for the Heritage Class, but look out in the Nostalgia Class. Would love it if they got this going.

·
Registered
922 Posts
From what I read about the "Heritage Gas" class, they're going to be real anal about everything but modern safety equipment. If you run coilover shocks, they'll have to be pre-'65 coilover shocks. It's going to be a play ground for the very rich.

·
Registered
661 Posts
What's wrong with electronic ignition? Pontiac offered it as an option starting in '59 or '60. Maybe some other GM divisions also. And what about autos? Cant run a 700r4? No electronics. 3speed w/overdrive just like a Hydro. Tires could also be a problem. The new "Nostalgia" tires have some pretty soft compounds. Some are even radials. So, all the supercharged classes would be eliminated from Heritage class and most of A and B. They would have to run in Nostalgia or Comp. Forget about Heritage class. 99.9% of cars couldn't run it. And if they could they would be to slow for a variety of reasons.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
There's nothing wrong with electronics, but rules need to be specific enough that racers know which electronics are allowed, and which aren't. I doubt anyone would have an advantage running a 700R4, but a trans brake is not just a lock up torque converter with OD.
I also doubt an electronic distributor would be an advantage if it simply replaces points. But add in an MSD control box and you're making a huge improvement over a points distributor.
I'm uncertain how anyone could run much HP with any tire made like the old cheater slicks were made? All the late versions I've seen are much better compounds, but still wont hook up with much HP driving them. The heavy sidewalls just wont allow a good hook up.
A little common sense used when setting the rules, and it should be a fun race.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't what happened to my post responce but here it goes again. What's wrong with electronic ignition?? Pontiac offered it as an 0ption in '59 or '60! Autos? Holey crap AA and BB cars were running autos as early as '62 maybe earlier. Your "Heritage" class will NEVER work! All cars will have to run NHRA tech. And that ain't gonna happen in "Heritage" class. As for tires, the new "nostalgia" tires are a much softer compound and some are radials! So now what? Run a 9.0 car on 50 year old tires?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I agree with the trans, break. But what about a line lock?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I agree with the trans, break. But what about a line lock?
Who needs one? I have one on my Austin, and they can't be trusted to hold your car solid in the staging lights. No matter how hard I press the pedal and set the line lock, it can still creep out if I bring the rpm's up too high. I simply hold the brake pedal once I'm staged, and keep it held as the lights come down.
I don't know anyone with an automatic that trusts a line lock. Now with my 4 speed car I use it to hold the car as I gradually let the pedal rise, and bring the rpm's up. But I slip the clutch as the lights come down, so it wont let me roll out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
So now everybody is saying it's still the same but different!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Electronics, disc brakes, autos. Mazmanian's Willy's had 4wheel disc in '64. SWC Willy's had auto in '62. Did people forget about the B&M Hydro-Stick? 3-speed overdrive. And like I said before electronic ignitions were offered from the factory in the '50,s. Like I said everythings the same but different. It's OK to have it back then. BUT NOT NOW!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Well I didn't see anyone here saying an automatic would be illegal; just a trans brake automatic. SEG wont allow automatics, but they've got a number of weird rules. And nobody would likely make your old Pontiac illegal, even though I doubt that ignition would be around on any cars racing today. Disc brakes back on the cars mentioned were old Airheart disc brakes, and certainly not much like anything that's made today.
Are you just trying to muddy the waters, or stir things up? Why not let this play out, and give it a chance to develop. Then you can pick it apart once the rules are set.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts