Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSC05765.jpg DSC05766.jpg DSC05754.jpg I hunted high and low for a set of Falco/Comet fenderwells and never found them. To have them made would have been a small fortune. I decided to build them myself and think they came out pretty good. I still have to finish weld them, but although they take some time and fore thought, the job is relatively cheap($500) and I'm glad I did it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Very nice, both of you. Mark L

·
Registered
374 Posts
Personally, I think home built headers can be the crowning touch to a build. They're one of the main things that can make a car "yours". They're totally custom, and unique to each car they're built for. No two are alike. You guys should sign or stamp your names on them. Two thumbs up!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
great job im going to have to build a set for mine to impala big block fenderwells lol i dont think they exist but corect me if im wrong looks great

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
great job im going to have to build a set for mine to impala big block fenderwells lol i dont think they exist but corect me if im wrong looks great
You might find something at Speedway that will work, even if it's for another model car:
'37-'54 Chevy
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-Big-Block-Chevy-Fender-Well-Headers-AHC-Coated,55518.html
Tri 5 Chevy
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Big-Block-Chevy-Fender-Well-Headers,3830.html

If you can do ome measuring on either a 55-57, or on a '37-54 Chevy, then you may find one of them could work. Especially with a straight axle that gives more inner fender room.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You might find something at Speedway that will work, even if it's for another model car:
'37-'54 Chevy
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-Big-Block-Chevy-Fender-Well-Headers-AHC-Coated,55518.html
Tri 5 Chevy
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Big-Block-Chevy-Fender-Well-Headers,3830.html

If you can do ome measuring on either a 55-57, or on a '37-54 Chevy, then you may find one of them could work. Especially with a straight axle that gives more inner fender room.
i know the tri5 wont work i have a set in the garage they interfere with the bends in the frame but they will make a great template even if i cant use them but i will look into the earlyer model thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where to start

I did myself a favor and sprung for a 3/8 inch set of flanges with welded stubs. Maybe this is cheating but I wanted the thickies for the weight hanging off these pipes. I bought 14 u-bends(mandrel) from Speedy Bill along with a set of weld yourself standard headers for SBF(not mandrel bent). I also got from Summit, 2 bags of alignment sleeves(40). These will help you when tack welding alone. You'll need a chop saw, cutoff wheel tool, and I used an electric die grinder with a carbide burr tip everytime I chopped a length. I cut each u-bend in half and started from there. DSC05779.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a similar problem sourcing headers for my truck and came across a company called Schoenfeld, they do dirt track stuff, but after a chat with one of their guys I gave these a try and they worked out pretty good

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/ford_street_stock.htm

I'm probably going to alter the collectors a bit, but other than that I'm happy with the fit (and the price was reasonable)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great WORK by all 3 of you.
I will be in the same boat for my Henry J so any tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I want fenderwell exit headers for the Falcon I'm building, but like others, I can't find any for a 460 Ford. I think I'll buy a set for a big block 55-57 Chevy and modify them and change the fllanges to fit.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I did myself a favor and sprung for a 3/8 inch set of flanges with welded stubs. Maybe this is cheating but I wanted the thickies for the weight hanging off these pipes. I bought 14 u-bends(mandrel) from Speedy Bill along with a set of weld yourself standard headers for SBF(not mandrel bent). I also got from Summit, 2 bags of alignment sleeves(40). These will help you when tack welding alone. You'll need a chop saw, cutoff wheel tool, and I used an electric die grinder with a carbide burr tip everytime I chopped a length. I cut each u-bend in half and started from there.
View attachment 1550
Thanks for the "tips" and inspiration that "hey I can do that!!!!"

Currently I have "block hugger headers" that fit just fine..... BUT a "BIG BUT" is that they are so close to the engine cover that the amount of heat transferred from the rear of the headers to the cover is VERY HOT.

In addition to modifying the engine cover I would love to build a set of headers that would LOOK custom/cool and be "away" from the engine cover instead of right next to it. The rear tubes are so close on both sides that I don't think I can even get thermal wrap around them.

The car was built for 1/4 mile at a time & not for going to cruises/shows on 90 degree Summer days!

You can see what the heat does .....ouch!!!!

The more I look at the car the MORE I find stuff I NEED to do right now ..... in addition I also have LOTS of "WANT to do eventually things" !!!!

Lots of work to do.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
The heat shield inside wont do much to stop heat, as the heat isn't reflected on the sticky side like it is on the foil side. You probably wont be able to find or build a header that will allow the tube to get much farther away, and still flow normally. I think I'd try pulling the headers off, wrapping them and then reinstalling them. It's nearly impossible to get a decent wrap on headers when the part that needs wrapping is always close to something.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guys I found this place, they have fenderwell headers for a small block ford in a Ford Courier 72 to 84 or Mazda pickup, same chassis. These should work, Hooker Header used to make a fenderwell header for the Courier years ago, and thats what I know a few gassers with smallblock fords have used over the years. Hooker quit making them many years ago. But now were in luck, I found this place and they have them, called powerbyace. Talked to them recently and they have them in stock. Price isn't that bad either, Check out the link scroll down to 72 to 84 Ford Courier V8 swap fenderwell headers they have a pic of them. They should work with a 351W also, since the deck height is only 1.2in difference. I will be buying a few sets in the future when I get some extra $.:D
http://www.powerbyace.com/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts