Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Fella's, I picked up a 66 390, or 428 engine this weekend for the 55 Fairlane project, the guy I bought it from knew nothing about it, it was given to him with a bunch of Chevy engine's he bought. After doing a little research, I came across an article that said it could be a 428 Police interceptor motor with the type of heads that are on it. I plan on rebuilding it, but was wondering if someone could recommend a good company to get the rebuild kit from.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Summit sells a Sealed Power rebuild kit for the 428 Ford that is complete, less pistons for $320. The pistons are also available separately at Summit for about $470 for Speed Pro. Wont be cheap buying parts for a 428 or a 390, as not tons of suppliers to choose from, but it's a torque monster, and will really move your gasser!

·
Registered
699 Posts
How much power are you looking to make with it? The engine will be a bit more expensive to build than other Ford engines, but and FE is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's Vall, trying to do this on a budget, but your right, this will not be a cheap build. Isaac, I'm not trying to build a race motor, Id like to keep it somewhat tame, but that being said, I would like to up grade to HP a little, maybe jump up the cam a little. But I know me, and this might end up getting stroked, lol. It just depends on what is more feasible. So far, what Iv been able to find out about the motor is that it is a 66, 390 with GT heads, and a stock 4 barrel intake. I'm not a ford guy by trade, so the FE engine is new to me, I'm learning as I go, but if you are familiar with the FE's, please feel free to give advice!!

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
With a budget in mind I'd try to reuse the rotating assembly, and if possible even the pistons. Guess it depends on how the cylinders check out, and if they can be honed and re-ringed, or need to be bored. I think getting 400hp out of a warmed over 390 is not at all out of the question, and would make a nice engine that will still be very reliable and not break the bank. Back in '66 the 390 still had decent compression, even in stock form.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I agree with Vall on reusing the parts. I like to use a lot of stock parts unless I were building an actual race engine. A 400hp 390 would be a fun engine. It should also make a decent amount of torque.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Great article. The 390 doesn't get the respect that the bigger number engines did, but it was a good engine. I have met a few Chevy guys that I got into some discussions with from back in the day. They didn't like lining up next to 390's. If I didn't already have this 460, I might have looked for an FE for my Falcon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great article Val, Thank's. I am going to keep as much as I can from the motor, I am however going to change out the intake with a alum. Elderbrock. Ill keep the heads and crank as well. This should be a great engine for the Fairlane when it's done.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
There's so much emphasis on the newer, more popular Ford engines that the old Ford engines have really taken a backseat. That's created a lack of support from the aftermarket industry, and increased prices on the few available parts. But the 390 was such a great engine, and a mainstay in Fords for hi performance engines in the 60's.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks for the article Vall, good info.
Blue, working on the power is a great phase of any project eh??

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far my research has told me that this engine was pretty BA in it's day, Hopefully a good cleaning and rebuild will bring it back to life with a few newer parts to help it breath and cool itself a little better. I'm going to try and stick with the same crank and pistons, if they are to far gone, I will upgrade to a 416 stroker kit keeping it mild with a nice rumble to it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have another option for you. i have a FE for sale back in the day i had a 68 super gas mustang and my brother and I wanted to go big block long story short car is gone motor is still on the stand and never started..we found a FE in a 1968 P.A. state police galaxy it was stamped 66'427 on the block we were told its a 427 service block with a 390 bore. we took it .030 and put 12-1 pistons in it with lemans rods arp studed we opened the oil galley to 10mm cloyes double roller timing chain launati rollor cam crower lifters its along block if interested make me an offer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bluewater:
If you don't already have the rebuild done,try calling Barry Rabotnik at Survival Motorsports.Allhe does is FE motors,and he has some really excellent low buck tips for you,and affordable stroker kits too,if you end up going that route.

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts