Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Fast and Loud

8K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
Anyone see that dude lose his ass on the 52 ford gasser they built? On tv show they said he sunk 20k into it, Mecom's website says 40. And it doesn't even run right!

#3 ·
I've watched two episodes of the show so far, and growing weary of that loud mouth that owns the shop. He's just too over the top for me. I'm surprised he can keep the doors open with the small profits and losses they keep showing on the episodes.
Not sure how many more I can sit through. I watched the last one just to see how that gasser turned out, but I wasn't too fond of how they did it. Close, but no cigar.

#4 ·
I LIKE seeing the cars in the junkyards & stashed in the fields ..... I always like walking around places like. Never used to go to parts stores like today.

The show has its moments .... both good & bad.

There is also another new show about MoPars on Velocity & a new Jesse James hot rod show..... I heard Chip Foose is also going to start doing another TV show soon.

#5 ·
Well any car show always gets me excited until I see them! I always hope we can have a interesting show without phoney deadlines and drama, but so far I haven't seen one. Jesse James said his new show wouldn't have all the drama and crap, but then he did the pilot and right away he had to do it. He's the producer and star, so no excuses about anyone else being blamed for it.
Just once I'd like to see a car show where they simply get along and build great cars. I wouldn't care if they're building hotrods, gassers, or jalopys, just no ricer cars, and no scripted drama. Geez.
Chip Foose is overexposed, but he's a nice guy, and a talented guy. And his shows don't seem to have any screaming or drama. I'd watch his new season of Overhaulin when it comes on.

#8 · (Edited)
For me about the only show that doesn't include more drama than skills or building tips is MUSCLE CAR.

I agree that not having all the drama would go a long way to make shows better. Hopefully Jesse's new show will ditch the drama. He if anyone should know all about it he is one of them.... the master's being Paul & Paul Jr. of course. The three of them went a long way to ruin how reality car/motorcycle
shows are produced for eternity.

With our trip to L.A. just around the corner our plans for "hot rod sight seeing" includes another visit to So Cal Speed Shop. If you have never been there I assure you it is a place to see.

Pete Chapouris & Jimmy Shine are gracious hosts and as any true hot roddder knows So Cal Speed Shop's is known for building some of the best & historic hot rods since the earliest days of hot rodding. A tradition that continues today.

Now if Jimmy Shine could just get rid of all that "drama" from his TV shows.... ha!!!!

So Cal Speed Shop Tour:
http://so-calspeedshop.com/tour.html
http://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/on-tour/legendary-tours/tour-so-cal-speed-shop-see-behind-the-scenes/
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/hotnews/0409sr_socal_speed_shop_pomona/index.html (daily tours now available)
U-Tube Video Tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nkIVkVUsE

#7 ·
That kid Jason is clueless, and his dad isn't much brighter. Some of the things they're surprised to learn are things any car guy has known since he had his driver's license!
You're right about the quality of their "restorations", and I use the word loosely. Was watching them spread bondo on one car and it had to be 3/8"-1/2" thick! I bet if you looked under any of those cars you'd see years of rust and dirt still! I've yet to see them clean and paint an old used engine before dropping it into a car, or for that matter see them ever use anything but an old used engine!

#9 ·
These shows do help out real car guys in one way. People with more money than sense see these shows, want to do it for themselves thinking if they build a car in a week, surely I can do it in 2 weeks, and end up with cars that they want to unload cheap when they find out the truth that we all know. Either that or bring it to one of us to do for them, either way we win.

#10 ·
This is true!

That's the thing about the TV show builds.... just look at how much those "tv builders" can get done during a commercial break..... HA!!!!

I do have to admit ...... those shows even get me thinking "oh that's not so hard to do" or it "won't take too much time to get done" when in fact it does..... or the worse illusion of them all "it won't take that much money to do"..... Ouch!!!!

#11 ·
That the truly amazing (and questionable) part of some of the shows; the time frame. I do believe that Overhaulin gets the cars done in a week, but they've got 25-30 guys working 24/7 to do it. Some of the other time frames vs. numbers of workers don't seem credible, and somewhat self imposed deadlines. That adds to the drama, but completely passes over the details of the build.
That gasser built on Fast and Loud just seemed to suddenly have a complete frame stubbed out and after the engine went in and paint went on it seemed to grow plumbing and wiring! For those who have done all these things we know it takes a guy a day to wire a car. Might be less when you have no lights, etc., but still time consuming. Same thing for plumbing brakes and fuel, it takes a day to get done right.
I'd enjoy seeing all the steps, even if they didn't film each minute of everything, it would still be nice to see a few seconds of each part.

#12 ·
Watched a new one last night. Couldn't believe that dork bought an '83 Continental on a whim at $5800 and was surprised when it wouldn't break $5300 at the auction! He said he lost a few hundred. Must be that new math when you lose $500 plus seller's commission and it comes out to a few hundred!

#16 ·
Just haven't quite figured out with these reality shows ........ Were the HECK is the reality ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

...... That is the question !!!!!

It is not like I am a TV producer..... just a hot rodder who by spending long hours working on cars I KNOW the "reality" of what that is like. Why can't we have shows about that "reality".

Why not visit local small town shops & the garages of back yard builders.... see how our hands get greasy.... how we are able to turn out decent hot rods, customs or drag cars.

This is reality..... a reality that happens everyday.

#19 ·
Remember when Jessie James first came out ? Well I was delighted to see a shop with some metal skills and it was cool to see his puppy's at the shop and his kids to stop by to hang with dad while mom went shopping. To me that was real, and kinda how my shop has been for 30 years. Now I wasn't really a Jessie ( fan ) but this seem to be a good start. THEN IT HAPPENED ! ! OCC was born , the bickering the throwing parts in a tantrum, yelling and screaming the F bomb so that there was a half hour of bleeps instead of shows.
All this made you see right past the tallent, and the main topic of the program. Just when you though it couldn't get any worse now ever job has a unreal build time that unless you work a 50 man crew 24/7 and how do they all work on the project at the same time without getting in the way. Again weres the reality :D well I could rant on but my thoughts are its not going to change all to soon, because they don't have customers waiting on a great build, but an audience that wouldn't watch it without all the crazy..... :D:D

#20 ·
Remember when Jessie James first came out ? Well I was delighted to see a shop with some metal skills and it was cool to see his puppy's at the shop and his kids to stop by to hang with dad while mom went shopping. To me that was real, and kinda how my shop has been for 30 years. Now I wasn't really a Jessie ( fan ) but this seem to be a good start:D:D
YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!!

I felt the same way..... Jesse's show got worse as time went one..... obviously influenced by the crap the Tutuel's were doing on a weekly basis on Orange County Choppers..... Ratings went up.... chopper and motorcycle sales went through the ceiling and all was well as never before.

So now we are stuck with this crap-ola that every reality show seems to have.

I haven't watched any of the new JJ show but supposedly he said "no more fake drama"...... there is no doubt the guy has SKILLS ..... Skills I would rather see than fake-drama.

#21 ·
If the show is trying to instruct they don't need the BS, but since they're trying to "entertain" they think it's neccessary. What they really need is a write in campaign that will wake up the producers and let them know that most true hotrodders want to learn, not be "entertained" by baloney and loud mouths!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.