Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My take is how the hell can they be sold for 360 bucks? Carillo's are no less than 2 grand!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Sounds like a question you might pose at the BIN auction. My guess is they are made overseas, and that's why they can sell them cheaply.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But are they strong, and what's BIN auction?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Buy it now...b.i.n. ...buy some let us know if they work.................lol...........most of the time you get what you pay for...scat and a lot of others have gone overseas...and have seen a decline in there quality...but they dont care they only see there bottom line profits the overseas market is also where 90% of our scrap metal goes...wonder what they do with it...I don't

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Asked the seller. He replied CHINA. They "SAY" they give a guarantee, but what about the rest of the parts if it does an A-test. Will also have to call CMD. They also sell china rods. Guess I'm going to call BM. About aluminum. No way could I afford Carillos.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
China has no competent metallurgists. When California started building the new Oakland Bay Bridge all the steel beams came from China. There were no steel mills left in the US that could make the sizes needed. If my memory serves me correctly something like 60% of the beams were refused because they didn't meet necessary specifications and standards.
My brother had recently retired from a career as a professional metallurgist around this time and he was sought out by a job head hunter because China was looking for qualified metallurgical engineers and was offering crazy money.
As an aside to this he started his interest in metallurgy when he took the four year curriculum at St. Don Bosco Technical High School. He then enrolled in the metallurgy course at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo where for one of his projects he took a Chevy forged crank that had split in two at a rod journal in one of my motors and used it as his senior project as to why it had failed.
Best advise; don't buy any high performance steel parts that are made in China. You've been warned!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted steel, but was considering aluminum to keep reciprocating mass lower on such a big engine, 514. Now this clinches my decision. Aluminum it will be. Most aluminum rods are fully made in the U.S.A. Don't need this thing to do an A-test on first launch.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I know. Now this goes to another thread. So Val move it. I also know with a Cad it ain't gonna be easy, but is life?

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I wont put anything inside my engines that comes from China. I'd rather use stock factory parts and limit rpm's than have my engine self destruct from bad choices I made. External parts might be OK, like chrome or aluminum trim.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine parts? I can't find American or Mexican wheel cylinders. Everything I keep getting "Made in china". WTF?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found "AMERICAN" :Dwheel cylinders, Scott Drake According to Summit "USA":D!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts