Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I posted this, but here's a valance panel for a Desoto made from aluminum.

I placed a panel in with a cut out radius to get an idea what size area I wanted to stretch.

Then I copied that on my blank sheet.

Then to the bag to stretch the area.

After I got enough stretch, I chased the outer edge. There's a plastic coating on the panel to keep from scratching.

Here's where I took a piece of hard wood, and chisel, and chased around the outer edge to define the line.

Here's my first trial fit, notice the distortion around the outer edge. I will address that a bit later.

Now some quick clean up, and then I have to make two recessed or reliefs so the panel will slide under the center support for the hood latch and drill two holes.

Now clean up the edges and and then another trial fit.

And she's good to go.

So with a little time, and a bit of imagination, you can add some style to a very simple panel.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Great job Steve! And you crack me up. I would have never of thought of cutting a bat in half and making a mallet out of it for the sandbag. Looks like it works great too.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Love the how to Steve! and even better the homemade shaping hammer! If I rarely use it I now need to get a bat from the Goodwill and make one just for fun!

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys, Vall you will use it more than you think. I have a few of those tiny bats, that they sell at the games. I made another hammer from that for more detailed strikes ( no pun intended )

And here's one I made from a Co2 bottle, and this one moves metal nicely.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Nice Steve, I thought the same thing about the bat. What a great idea. Necessity the mother of invention. Love it.
Great job on the panel. you are da man
Mario

1 - 8 of 8 Posts